2012 CG Retrospective :: Special Feature

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
2012 CG Retrospective :: Special Feature

Hey,

The community has voted and here is the CGSociety CG Retrospective for 2012. For the seventh year in a row. Click the image for the article.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
The following section needs spelling/grammar check:
Originally Posted by CG Talk 2012 Retrospective: Out of nowhere, the Mouse House has taken control of the Darth Star. More of a show business story that a technology story,

Darth Star?

Agreed with one of the comments that the Blender description is not entirely accurate. Blender now includes motion tracking, a very much improved physics system, and a feature for GPU-based real time rendering is on the way.

It is still the outsider.... But it is gaining more muscle with every new build.

Reflecting on the Retrospective, I have to say that this is the first one I read where I saw how this field is really connected to many things like Everyday Technology (Windows Operating System), Politics and Economics (Digital Domain, and the No. 20 item about Government fund embezzlement), new e-business trends (Kickstarter)...

It really explains why there is so much value and scale in the Entertainment field. So this has been (and will continue to be) a great feature and must-read.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Smile

Rhode Island, NY?
Rhode Island is a state, and as such, is not found within New York.

... the 38 Studios debacle over on Rhode Island has ...
should probably read
... the 38 Studios debacle over in Rhode Island has ...

unexpectedly, Rhode Island isn't and island either. this country's crazy!
happy new year!

Last edited by Zerflag : 01 January 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Autodesk has taken the [Naiaid] technology and it has already been instigated into 3ds Max and other software offerings within the Autodesk stable.

not only is there no basis (i.e. no announcement or confirmation from Autodesk) for that 3DSMax speculation.. the word "instigated" does not mean what you think it mean.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Another reviewer said they felt MS was treating the user base like they had an IQ of eight, big fingers and only mainstream interests to pursue.

I read many similar reviews myself and they just made me laugh. When another large "Electronics/Computer" company (don't want to start a flame war so no names) does the exact same thing it's lauded by these same people as a "brilliant strategic move" and they are complimented on their "innovative approach". lol Poor MS-they just can't win. I do have to say though that there were a wealth of posative reviews as well and I'm surprised none of these made it into this article ...

Over-all I feel like this was kind of a lackluster year for the industry in general. Hopefully studio closings/debacles won't be so prominent on the 2013 retrospective. Here's hoping! Happy New Year everyone!

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Like the one who commented about Blender in the Restrospective article itself, kind of sad to be negative in pointing how disinformed is the part about Blender. Practically all this "new" features listed in here were there when I started to use this application, someday in the year 2004.

Not wanting to start a flamewar neither, but I'll not anymore wonder why Blender isn't more respected in this cute planet, if the yearly report of this great community states such outdated things about this software. That said, it's great that Blender is on the 5th position, so perhaps this community it's not so disinformed

Excuse my english and have a good new year
Raimon

Last edited by glorund : 01 January 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: correct meaning

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by glorund: Like the one who commented about Blender in the Restrospective article itself, kind of sad to be negative in pointing how disinformed is the part about Blender. Practically all this "new" features listed in here were there when I started to use this application, someday in the year 2004.

Not wanting to start a flamewar neither, but I'll not anymore wonder why Blender isn't more respected in this cute planet, if the yearly report of this great community states such outdated things about this software. That said, it's great that Blender is on the 5th position, so perhaps this community it's not so disinformed

Excuse my english and have a good new year
Raimon

Well I've been in talks with the author of the feature and we've discussed how Blender coverage can be improved in the future. You have to admit Blender isn't packaged the same way as the Autodesk applications it is often compared to. Not everything is bullet-pointed on the front page Blender's site for example, and Blender isn't in the habit of doing Press releases or other publicity.

In my opinion they SHOULD be doing that. Not because it's for sale, but because new users and potential new users should see what the system can do now. But basically we talked about where else CG Society's staff can look to keep abreast of Blender. It's not easy even if you are a native user.

Heck! When I made our film, we locked the film on 2.49b... and by the time we were done... the first thing we see when looking at the new Blender versions we missed is a motion-tracking demo and GPU-based rendering!

If you blink.. you miss all kinds of features.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
I think you guys need to have a read through this article the manner it which it is written makes it hard to understand. The grammar that is used is pretty bad.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Well I've been in talks with the author of the feature and we've discussed how Blender coverage can be improved in the future. You have to admit Blender isn't packaged the same way as the Autodesk applications it is often compared to. Not everything is bullet-pointed on the front page Blender's site for example, and Blender isn't in the habit of doing Press releases or other publicity.

Hi,

I agree in some way with you, and anyway is not the first time that someone points this kind of strategical/marketing moves about Blender and the Blender Foundation. Andrew Price himself gave a talk two years ago at the Blender Conference about this.

But there is too the fact that this top #20 is community proposed, and provided that, I don't think it should be so hard to find someone that is able to do a current synthesis about what Blender is and its main (current too) features. If you look for, obviously.

Regards,
Raimon

Old 01 January 2013   #10
It's a good list, but the viewpoint it's written from is way too personal. It reads like a "Here's what i think about your community voted list...."

While this wasn't large on my radar ..... The story was hitting the USA headlines at the opening of the list, so I can imagine this is why it made it on.

Once again, I am beginning to think the only reason this made it on to the Top 20 is because it was released around the time of the vote. Yawn.

Personally, I'm sitting on the sidelines on that other operating system that just works.

These are taken from just the first 2 pages, i like hearing about what the community thought was important, but if i wanted to hear an opinion piece i'd go read someone's blog. Some of the other writeups were great, but it was clear what your views were on each topic, which i dont think should come across. Anyways, cheers for taking the time to create this

Old 01 January 2013   #11
As my comment still hasn't been approved after 3 days (it awaited moderation, maybe because I included a link) I will repost here:

"Regarding Blender:
The "latest features" you mention are not so "latest" actually.
We have UV Unwrapping, Game engine etc for years.

Better to mention some of the real recent additions, like a new Fire simulation or the integration of Sony Pictures Imageworks' Open Shading Language.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...ease_Notes/2.65

Best regards,
Thomas"

So please, spend a bit more than 2 minutes into your research next time.

Last edited by DingTo : 01 January 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
people shouldn't give so much importance to this..
2012 Retrospective :

How many votes ? That thread says 39 aprox.
39 votes is nothing enough, to measure anything appropriately..

And even if there are more votes, how reliable could they be, considering that it's open to public. Inevitable subjective opinions.
This list is just for fun, Something not useful to quote, or use as a reference, not at all... Just a community event, made each year, for the purpose of remembering things.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
So the article leads with a huge photo of a character from Dishonored but it's not in the list? :( That game was a marvel on innovation and gameplay. Oh well. The rest of the list looks tight to me.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Great article.
How can you write an article if you have no opinion? I thought we get enough dry bread through standard mainstream media for crissakes. I saw quite a few things I had missed.

An Jeeez Louise! Blender is perfectly good software on its own, regardless of the price. It doesn't need you zealots to launch out of your corners like Pikachu on crack! again.

Blimey

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Nice to see John Carter on the list.

This film took a beating in the press before it got released and deservedly so, the Disney marketing was atrocious.

Regardless of the marketing, I was still looking forward to seeing it in theaters. It truly wasn't as bad as critics would have you believe. I enjoyed it myself.

It's a popcorn movie meant to be enjoyed on it's own terms, but because other movies borrowed heavily from the original story, some people thought it was a tired rip off from those movies.

Good to see some love for it from other folks.

I figure in about 20 years, critics will look differently at it and hail it as a classic. Blade Runner took a critical drubbing when it was originally released. Look where it is now.

Thread Closed share thread