Simple? Changing shading group via MEL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2003   #1
Question Simple? Changing shading group via MEL

Hi there

I want to write a MEL script that automates the task of changing the shading group of objects in a few secene files of mine to faclilitate rendering passes for compositions.

So I sat down and figured out how to switch shading group via MEL - a done deal I thought.... but no. It got snagged on what I believe are instanced objects. I did a for loop like this:

for ($i = 0; $i < size($nodes) ;$i++)
{ sets -edit -forceElement $shadingGroup $nodes[$i]; }

...but this only seems to work for non-instanced geometry :( I have a hall with pillars that are instanced, and for all of them (but the original) the change does not seem to "stick" - they stay with the original shading group.

I am a bit tired right now so I wondered if any of you had any ideas that could save me some headaches ?

Cheers!
/ Daniel

Old 12 December 2003   #2
Hi,

Check to verify you are getting the instance transform nodes when you fill nodes, and not just the shape node.

Old 12 December 2003   #3
Ah - found the problem.

Thanks sbp for your help. Unfortunately the problem was not the sets command but rather the command I used to get the (transform)nodes: listConnections - which did not work as I expected. I haven't figured out a solution yet though, but I'll get there eventually

Cheers!
/ Daniel

Old 12 December 2003   #4
Found it!

For curious people:
I used listConnections to get all the connections to a display layer. The problem with this approach was apparently that the layer was connected to the shape node and not the transform node... so when I used listConnections, I only got the first parent transform and not the rest.

Took a while to figure that one out. Works like a charm now - I used listRelatives -allParents on the shape nodes to retrieve all transforms.

Cheers!
/ Daniel

Last edited by jdj : 12 December 2003 at 05:32 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread