[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Campaign To End VFX Subsidies Begins

Rob note: This post does not indicate support of this effort by The CGSociety, Ballistic Media, Roberto Ortiz, My employer or any of the moderators at this forum.

Quote "
'Fellow VFX Professionals, the time has come for us to take direct action. As many of you know, this blog has written extensively on the harm that subsidies have caused by distorting the price of visual effects work. This has led to a race to the bottom where many of our colleagues are forced to constantly move around the world as US studios chase subsidies for their films."

VFX Soldier Launches Fight Against Subsidies
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
GatorNic
Party over here!

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Nic Sievers
Lighting TD/Modeling TD
Alameda, USA

Send a message via AIM to GatorNic
there are also answers to several questions here

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/201...after-two-days/

www.Nix3d.com

Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

As usual, vfxsoldier is on a crusade to protect only US workers and is pretty much hellbent on destroying the VFX industry in other countries (although he won't succeed). He also never has anything to say about all the subsidies in other industries, which is pretty hypocritical. Basically, because he and his buddies don't want to move to other countries to get work (and this is an odd notion seeing all the job postings for LA shops both here and over at 2pop), they want everyone to have to move from other countries to California, which he knows they can't really do due to the US's restrictive visa system.

So no, I won't be supporting this and I don't see why any non-American in their right mind would either. And that's over and above the fact that you'd have to be a bit daft to give your money to an anonymous person anyway.

He should rename his post with a more honest title, like "Campaign to bring back California's monopoly on this industry" because that's exactly what it is.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

So... wait. The US plans to cut subsidies that other countries give to their own industries?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
He also never has anything to say about all the subsidies in other industries, which is pretty hypocritical.

Uhmm.... why would he?

It's about VFX, not every industry under the sun. You can say the exact same thing EVERY time someone in here gets upset about something trivial - "Well what about all of the starving children in insert name of country here?"

Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSW
Uhmm.... why would he?

It's about VFX, not every industry under the sun. You can say the exact same thing EVERY time someone in here gets upset about something trivial - "Well what about all of the starving children in insert name of country here?"

Well no, because bringing up the issue of starving children would be an irrelevant issue when talking about anything other than hunger or poverty. VFXSoldier is always ranting about the supposed illegality of subsidies but only appears to care about subsidies that affect VFX, which is pretty hypocritical when you consider he's probably typing his rants on a computer that was affordable because it was built in China. So he's happy to keep having cheap consumer stuff, but damn anything which may affect his own job! That makes him a hypocrite in my book. It actually just generally comes off as hypocritical for Americans, who are always going on and on about their capitalism and the right to ruthlessly chase profits, to then get upset when other countries do it. I realise my post is now veering off into off topic territory but it's certainly not the first time that Americans act in this hypocritical fashion and I can assure you the rest of the world is getting pretty tired of it. It's always one rule for America and one for everyone else as far as they're concerned. I'll probably bow out of this thread at this point as I don't want to go off ranting and potentially offend anyone, suffice to say I'm not the only one who feels this way about vfxsoldier's blog, which is a constant topic of scorn and derision amongst my peers in Soho.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Well I don't think this is going to get very far. Probably not a good idea to give 15K to an anonymous person over the internet.

And Leigh, not all of us are materialistic capitalist.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Lets be fair... Americans don't have the lock on be hypocritical.

Read the blog, read the comments, decide for yourself.

I do agree with the notion about donating to someone anonymous, I can understand given the circumstances and the action his/her wish to be anonymous at this time. It would have been better if he/she rather managed the donations through the law firm discussed.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Quote:
VFXSoldier is always ranting about the supposed illegality of subsidies but only appears to care about subsidies that affect VFX, which is pretty hypocritical when you consider he's probably typing his rants on a computer that was affordable because it was built in China. So he's happy to keep having cheap consumer stuff, but damn anything which may affect his own job!

I say the same thing when I see people being interviewed about their jobs - for example - in the auto industry here in the US when there were layoffs - people saying that we should buy American. And I wonder how many of these very same people shop primarily at Walmart where they treat their employees like crap and about everything they sell is made in China. It's very difficult for some to see past their own problems and not realize that they contribute to the very same problem.

I really don't see how anything can be done about subsidies. Here in the states every state can (and most often does) have subsidies for certain industries. Until every government agency EVERYWHERE chooses to stop subsidies for industries, nothing will ever really be solved. It doesn't effect me extensively in my job, but I can see why it would seriously irk many.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
THX1311
Banned

portfolio
William Noble
Design Concepts inc.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Quote:
"I really don't see how anything can be done about subsidies. Here in the states every state can (and most often does) have subsidies for certain industries. Until every government agency EVERYWHERE chooses to stop subsidies for industries, nothing will ever really be solved"

This^

While I am personally against Governments using public treasuries to prop up certain private industries and distorting their markets& pricing.

Alas it has become part of the practices of
" Representative Democracies"

But to be honest Mates, holding the "reserve FIAT currency" for the worldand mankind only being able to buy Mideast petroleum in U.S. Dollars Gives the Americans a massive economic advantage that far outweighs any particular industry subsidy in other nations so they( AMERICANS) have no room to complain.

Cheers

Last edited by THX1311 : 12-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Well no, because bringing up the issue of starving children would be an irrelevant issue when talking about anything other than hunger or poverty. VFXSoldier is always ranting about the supposed illegality of subsidies but only appears to care about subsidies that affect VFX, which is pretty hypocritical when you consider he's probably typing his rants on a computer that was affordable because it was built in China. So he's happy to keep having cheap consumer stuff, but damn anything which may affect his own job! That makes him a hypocrite in my book. It actually just generally comes off as hypocritical for Americans, who are always going on and on about their capitalism and the right to ruthlessly chase profits, to then get upset when other countries do it. I realise my post is now veering off into off topic territory but it's certainly not the first time that Americans act in this hypocritical fashion and I can assure you the rest of the world is getting pretty tired of it. It's always one rule for America and one for everyone else as far as they're concerned. I'll probably bow out of this thread at this point as I don't want to go off ranting and potentially offend anyone, suffice to say I'm not the only one who feels this way about vfxsoldier's blog, which is a constant topic of scorn and derision amongst my peers in Soho.

This is not off-topic. You're just calling them out for seeing the trees but not the forest.
It's a bit futile anyway. What's he going to do? Ask America to invade countries that subsidise Visual Effects?

The only viable response is for States to choose to subsidise certain industries (including VFX). It's fight fire with more fire. It's also not new.. in the 70's the United States put a lot of money into Science and Engineering, and all that support probably helped push the world into the Computer age.

That's another forward-thinking aspect that VFXSoldier ignores... That where ever the craft or trade thrives, there is the chance for development, innovation, or growth that benefits the rest of the world in some way.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
I don't want to go off ranting and potentially offend anyone, suffice to say I'm not the only one who feels this way about vfxsoldier's blog, which is a constant topic of scorn and derision amongst my peers in Soho.

Its a safe bet to say you already have.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Quote:
I realise my post is now veering off into off topic territory but it's certainly not the first time that Americans act in this hypocritical fashion and I can assure you the rest of the world is getting pretty tired of it. It's always one rule for America and one for everyone else as far as they're concerned. I'll probably bow out of this thread at this point as I don't want to go off ranting and potentially offend anyone, suffice to say I'm not the only one who feels this way about vfxsoldier's blog, which is a constant topic of scorn and derision amongst my peers in Soho.

It's not offensive so much as it is embarrassing. For you.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
bjoern
pling

b balu
bad boy
Digital dong dong ;)
Vancouver,

Quote:
"Campaign to bring back California's monopoly on this industry" because that's exactly what it is.

you nailed it hehe. Agreed

Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
Zerflag
Dedicated

portfolio
Enoch Ihde
R&D Guy
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to Zerflag
just so we're clear, which "industry" are we talking about. the vfx industry that largely services the american film industry?

Thread Closed share thread