Shading/Color transaction issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Shading/Color transaction issue

Hi,

I normally don't ask for help on forums, however I cannot seem to find an answer or solution for my problem by asking my dear friend Google, so here I am.

I will try to describe my problem the best I can. Whenever I am painting in Photoshop (CS6) and I want to use a gradient or create a smooth shadow by using a brush with the hardness all the way down to 0%, it always looks anything but smooth. Instead of being all smooth and nice it looks stripped and ugly. I am not sure what the cause might be, I've tried everything from changing the brush to changing the color profile, but nothing seems to help. I cannot remember ever having this problem before. I cannot recall when it started either. But it is driving me nuts and is basically ruining my experience when I am painting.

At the moment I am using "Adobe RGB (1998)" but I am getting some annoying color distortions here and there whenever I want to add a smooth color transaction on an object. When I work with sRGB, I do not have the this issue, but I still have the issue with the "shadows" looking stripped instead of smooth.

I have tried ruled out that it is not caused by my screen, it therefore has to do with either my graphics card (which I find highly unlikely) or Photoshop.

Please help, this is really frustrating.

Best regards,
Vira

Last edited by VIRATIVITY : 12 December 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Does this striping effect translate onto the printed image? Also have you altered any of your graphics card settings or changed monitor resolution lately?

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Hi!

Thanks for answering.

To be honest I am not really sure if it does. I don't think so because I have never noticed it before on any prints I have made. So my guess is no, it does not translate onto a print. Regarding the graphics card, no I haven't done anything lately. I've had this problem for quite some time now. I cant even remember when it first occurred. I have just been trying to live with it but lately I have gotten so sick of it that I rarely draw anymore.

I tried Painter's airbrush tool yesterday and the transactions where nice there. The only problem I faced was that it sort of had a halo of distorted color around it. But I guess that was due to Adobe RGB (1998) or something. I've noticed that that can occur, I don't know why though and I cannot remember ever encountering this issue on my laptop.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this could be? This is driving me mildly crazy...

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread