Work on Wasteland 2...for free?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Work on Wasteland 2...for free?

ORIGINAL LINK

InXile and Unity Partnering in a Crowdsourced Experiment Get your 3D model in Wasteland 2 and make money in the process! Each week on this page, we will be putting up concept art to be turned into 3D models for our game. By opening up the creative procedure behind our art asset creation, we are able to work with you to increase the overall game experience for everyone. This experiment allows us to focus our internal team onto elements that directly impact the gameplay of Wasteland 2. Follow the steps below to get your creation featured in our game.

Im not entirely sure what I feel about this. While I can see that companies who have crowd funded games are trying other ways to 'tap into' the immense power that user-generated-content provides, this kinda feels like 'work for us, and if we want it, you get paid'.

Its awesome for the work that gets chosen, not so much for the rest.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that this will make for a better game, because it will allow the developers to focus on...well..the game!

Old 12 December 2012   #2
If this works, why stop at modeling? Why not crowd-source concept art, rigging, animation, and even programming? At the end of the day they'd pay out only a fraction of what a dedicated team for that work would cost. It seems that they're expecting people to value the "As seen in Wasteland 2" badge in return for their work which for them is free, in addition to some minor compensation.

This, in addition to recent discussion about crowd-funded games driving down budgets, seems to paint an interesting future for game (and other media) development.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
So what happens if they post a spec for something really huge like an entire building with floors or a starship? Or something really tough to make?

Old 12 December 2012   #4

1. If yours is selected, we will pay you for the asset and you will receive a special "As seen is Wasteland 2" badge to place on your icon in the Unity Asset Store.
    • You will also be credited in the Wasteland 2 game for your contribution (not to mention the satisfaction of showing this off to all your friends!).
    • Please keep pricing in line with the normally accepted range in the Asset Store. Entries will be rejected if the price is too high.

Sounds like you're not submitting your work directly to them, but rather, to the asset store. You can even keep on selling the models in the store, that's not a bad deal at all actually. You're given free concept arts, and you end up with a model you can sell on your own even if they don't accept it.

Last edited by Panupat : 12 December 2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Pyke: ORIGINAL LINK

Im not entirely sure what I feel about this. While I can see that companies who have crowd funded games are trying other ways to 'tap into' the immense power that user-generated-content provides, this kinda feels like 'work for us, and if we want it, you get paid'.

Its awesome for the work that gets chosen, not so much for the rest.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that this will make for a better game, because it will allow the developers to focus on...well..the game!

Valve have been doing this forever, if you think about it. At least they are offering payment if your stuff gets chosen; if they weren't even then, yeah, that would be an issue.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
In before BigPixolin makes a comparison between this and the competitions we run on this site...

Old 12 December 2012   #7
I'm just sick of companies thinking it's such a privilege to do work for them. Guess what, it's not.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Originally Posted by th3ta: I'm just sick of companies thinking it's such a privilege to do work for them. Guess what, it's not.

actually, from my perspective it is an opportunity.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Originally Posted by tswalk: actually, from my perspective it is an opportunity.

Sigh.

It's this kind of thinking that results in people being exploited. Companies are nothing without their artists, you know.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Originally Posted by leigh: Sigh.

It's this kind of thinking that results in people being exploited. Companies are nothing without their artists, you know.

and its' that kind of fear that leads to protectionism... its' really a matter of perspective. why look at this concept from a negative view, when the opportunity for many is so great?

honestly, this type of freelance / community workflow is only going to become more proliferated.

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Originally Posted by tswalk: honestly, this type of freelance / community workflow is only going to become more proliferated

... and devaluated

Old 12 December 2012   #12
Originally Posted by tswalk: and its' that kind of fear that leads to protectionism... its' really a matter of perspective. why look at this concept from a negative view, when the opportunity for many is so great?

honestly, this type of freelance / community workflow is only going to become more proliferated.

Fear? What fear? Are you denying that loads of newcomers get exploited in this industry? If you are, then you're sorely mistaken. Having worked for exploitative studios myself, and know many others who have too, I can assure you that kids clamouring to "have the great opportunity" to work for someone for free or for shit wages is harmful to the entire industry.

And this isn't freelancing. This is crowdsourcing spec work. With all due respect, you need to get a clue.

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Originally Posted by leigh: Fear? What fear? Are you denying that loads of newcomers get exploited in this industry? If you are, then you're sorely mistaken. Having worked for exploitative studios myself, and know many others who have too, I can assure you that kids clamouring to "have the great opportunity" to work for someone for free or for shit wages is harmful to the entire industry.

And this isn't freelancing. This is crowdsourcing spec work. With all due respect, you need to get a clue.

you're making a lot of assumptions about me and my experience, the film industry is no different than any other... everyone gets exploited.

they could have just as easily posted their requirements on freelance.com or some other competitive bid-war website and cherry picked from that too.

its' simple business, and its' smart.. its' happening more and more in all businesses. wake up man, don't shoot the messenger here.

Old 12 December 2012   #14
Wink

Here is my understanding of the situation and also some of my guess (since they didn't cover the whole spectrum)

1. you make a model based on the art style guide
2. upload it to unity store
3. if they like it, they will pay for it at the store price:
"If yours is selected, we will pay you for the asset and you will receive a special "As seen is Wasteland 2" badge to place on your icon in the Unity Asset Store.
You will also be credited in the Wasteland 2 game for your contribution (not to mention the satisfaction of showing this off to all your friends!).
Please keep pricing in line with the normally accepted range in the Asset Store. Entries will be rejected if the price is too high
."

What I don't know is that will other people able to buy the asset later on for use in their own game? The reason is that its okay to sell models for low price at asset store if many people are buying it, but you cannot sell it at the same price just for only one company (stock model price is different than custom model price).

And if the model is not selected, can you still sell it later on at the asset store? Was it breach of IP look-alike?

I think the problem here is not the free part, but how cheap they can get the model for compared to hiring an artist.

But here is another kicker: how is it different from most modelling competition?

Old 12 December 2012   #15
Originally Posted by tswalk: you're making a lot of assumptions about me and my experience, the film industry is no different than any other....

Excuse me, but where did I make even a single assumption, let alone "a lot of assumptions" about you or your experience? You came along dismissing my post as nothing more than "fear" when the fact is that these practices absolutely devalue our profession.

And no, this industry isn't like every other in this regard. Creative industries are open to exploitation far more than many others, due to the nature of the work; office work, for example, can't simply be crowdsourced in this manner. And, perhaps more crucially, there aren't loads of desperate kids willing to bend over backwards and get shafted for "an opportunity" (and I say that with the sneering derision it deserves) to do work for free for someone.

Thread Closed share thread