LW8 manual/cd and box ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2003
LW8 manual/cd and box ?

i guess the upgrade will be a download ? do you think there will be an option to purchase the full box with cd/manual ?
__________________
www.cgpuppet.com (personal portfolio)

web/animation designer
 
  12 December 2003
An option will be available to purchase the CD and hardcopy manual for a little extra. Some info somewhere on the Newtek forums about this.
 
  12 December 2003
Yes there is an option. It's mentioned on the site. I think it costs a $100.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  12 December 2003
This is off topic but, does a moderators reply count as 2 replies. Not that I care, I'm just curious. I noticed it on this post when it said 2 replies but only one had replied.
__________________
Jan C G Andersson

 
  12 December 2003
No it doesn't, Carl - I've been really puzzled trying to figure out this anomaly myself
I've never seen this happen before...
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  12 December 2003
I'm guessing [8] will at least come with a PDF that I will be able to print out (at work )?
 
  12 December 2003
YUP,
The 'online' help is normally a PDF.

I'd like the manual and CD, but the import duty and shipping to the UK will probably be such that it would cost considerably more than $100 for us UK wavers. :(
 
  12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by colkai
YUP,
The 'online' help is normally a PDF.

I'd like the manual and CD, but the import duty and shipping to the UK will probably be such that it would cost considerably more than $100 for us UK wavers. :(


I say take the PDF to somewhere with a laser printer and have it printed that way. should be cheap and look great. then just burn the files onto a CD-R, add an autorun.inf file if you want it to startup when you put the CD in. That should cost you $2 at most with a fancy stick-on label you can make yourself. So instead of $100 plus duties, spend like $10 and have basically the same thing.
 
  12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by VWTornado
I say take the PDF to somewhere with a laser printer and have it printed that way. should be cheap and look great.


Wow,
I guess printing in the USA is really cheap.
No kidding, I went to a printers to see about doing a guide for a wildlife centre I'm involved with.
25 sheets, double-sided colour.
Cost for *one* - 18.90
I can print the same at home, using 'genuine' ink on a photo printer with 100gsm paper for a third of that if not less.
Unless this place was rip-off merchant, I think it wouldn't work out cheap at all.
Of course, if someone in the UK knows differently, do let me know
 
  12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by colkai
Wow,
I guess printing in the USA is really cheap.
No kidding, I went to a printers to see about doing a guide for a wildlife centre I'm involved with.
25 sheets, double-sided colour.
Cost for *one* - 18.90
I can print the same at home, using 'genuine' ink on a photo printer with 100gsm paper for a third of that if not less.
Unless this place was rip-off merchant, I think it wouldn't work out cheap at all.
Of course, if someone in the UK knows differently, do let me know


Dont you have a laser printer at work (most offices here in the states have them)? Then its free to print. If you plan it right, you can even print the manual on both sides of the paper and use half as much paper (odd pages on the first side, then flip the paper appropriately in the printer and print the even pages on the other side). You probably don't even need color, as the LW[7] manual is B&W anyways.
 
  12 December 2003
Laser printer? here??
It's only a computer company you know - we don't do technology

The scary thing is - I ain't kidding - my boss is the most technically clueless person I know. Most of our kit is cast-offs from when our clients upgrade. Our server is my bosses daughters old PC. (what was to be the server became her new one).

So nope, nothing like that here. My office PC is actually my old home P3 550 as prior to that, it was a P90 with a 850MB harddisk and 32MB of ram - whooa - speed machine
 
  12 December 2003
ouch. I think you just need to move to the states. At least then you would be using PCs from at least the late 90's. You guys don't have a Kinko's type of place? (kinkos is a copy store that can print large volumes of documents fairly cheap, plus do color copying, scanning, etc... http://www.kinkos.com )
 
  12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by colkai
Laser printer? here??
It's only a computer company you know - we don't do technology

The scary thing is - I ain't kidding - my boss is the most technically clueless person I know. Most of our kit is cast-offs from when our clients upgrade. Our server is my bosses daughters old PC. (what was to be the server became her new one).

So nope, nothing like that here. My office PC is actually my old home P3 550 as prior to that, it was a P90 with a 850MB harddisk and 32MB of ram - whooa - speed machine


Poor you. Maybe you should get a new job. What were you using before the p90 with 32megs; the old BBC model B with 32k or Specky 48k.

Anyways, when Lightwave 8 is released there will be an option to purchase the manuals. I read somewhere (but can't rem where), that the UK manuals will be about 75 quid, but I could be wrong.
 
  12 December 2003
--ouch. I think you just need to move to the states. At least then you would be using PCs from at least the late 90's--

i think it's just one small company, you don't think there are companies in the US that use old pc's; trust me a lot of european countries have hitech stuff there that won't make it to us until a couple of years from now; as an example, they had video phones with sms systems a few years ago before it came out here
__________________
www.cgpuppet.com (personal portfolio)

web/animation designer

Last edited by sebek27 : 12 December 2003 at 05:19 PM.
 
  12 December 2003
I hope NewTek will put in the pdf copyright the right to run off a copy at kinkos. Sometimes they won't print a manual such as this due to copyright issues.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.