Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
LegendaryPanda
portfolio
Liam
Adelaide, Australia

Need help with basic rotopainting exercise

Hey CGTalk!

First time poster, long time lurker, so I'm hoping that I can get some constructive feedback.

I've just started using Nuke's PLE within the last week, to try and create a short showreel of basic rotopainting skills over the next month. I've gone over the tutorials presented by The Foundry on their website, as well as a number of videos on youtube, and browsing older threads for queries I've had so far. Unable to find much stock footage to work with, I took a video by hand on my iPod, to try out some of the basics.

The exercise was to create bezier shapes over a wire and its shadow to remove them from the video, creating and animating the shapes itself did not prove too difficult, though in the uploaded video many frames still need work, I decided to hold on that part 'till I could sort out the main issue, removing the wire and shadow. In the current WIP, I've just set the Source of the beziers to foreground, and created an offset under the clone tab, as was done in The Foundry's 'Wire Removal with Rotopaint' tutorial, but playing through the video, the cloned area is very noticeable.

I was wondering what the correct workflow is for this kind of exercise, or if I should have taken more things into consideration when shooting the video, such as the BG texture, angle/depth change due to handicam (was lifting spoon at same time and trying to keep shadow out of shot), used trackers on the paper, or taken a video of the BG without the shadows, spoon and string, to input through the bezier shapes.

Any constructive feedback or work arounds are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to include the link to the video when I posted the thread on Friday.
https://vimeo.com/53651226

Last edited by LegendaryPanda : 11-18-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
julsVFX
Veteran

portfolio
Julius I.
Double Negative
London, Germany

Your main problem (apart from the frames that are not done yet ) is the fact that your cloned areas change shape and texture, therefore the wireremovale is very noticable. These kind of shots are usually rather simple, so I could suggest a general easy cleanup workflow:
-Track the plate, considering rotation and scale aswell... in cases like this mocha is very handy! nuke's planar tracker could work well here, too
-search for a frame that has most of the wire visible and freeze it with a framehold. on this frame paint out the wire.
-next track this clean frame to the plate with the tracker you created before.
-finally cut out the parts you don't need (spoon) from the cleanplate

usually you also want to degrain your patch and regrain it afterwards again, but in this case i wouldn't neccesserely do it because you most likely wouldn't see it anyway due to the compression

hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
LegendaryPanda
portfolio
Liam
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks Juls!

I've tried to give what you mentioned a shot, I think It's looking a little better, but there's still a fair bit of noticeable movement where the string changes shape/moves across the BG alot, I might still be doing something wrong in the workflow though/Maybe I didn't use the right frame to work from. Slowly getting a better understanding of the program.... Perhaps too slowly, but I'm getting there...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
julsVFX
Veteran

portfolio
Julius I.
Double Negative
London, Germany

It's alright, keep trying Just make sure your patch is tracking nicely with the footage and make sure it covers the wire all the time.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread