CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
VooDude
portfolio
Jason
United Kingdom

First post, jumping in at the deep end..

Hey!

This is my first post, I couldn't see an intro sub-forum, so I thought I would jump in at the deep end and post something I am currently working on, to get slaughtered and hopefully go away with lots to learn.

A bit of background, my name is Jason, but I like to go by VooDude or simply Voo.. I'm 22, and have been interested in most forms of art since a very young age, I have no formal training except art class in high school, and a year at art college, which I left as I didn't learn a single thing as the teachers didn't show up 75% of the time. I would like to return to a good art college possibly, sometime in the future.

I would love to get a job in the entertainment industry, films or games would be great to work on and be part of, but I am a long long way from that. I recently got a Wacom Bamboo to see how I could fair on a digital medium, currently using PSCS6, but I have been using Photoshop for about 4 or 5 years, self taught myself how to use it and I am pretty comfortable around it now.

Before I got the Wacom, I mainly used pencil, doing portraits and very tone orientated pieces, lots of shading and blending. However this I guess kind of messed me up, as doing mainly black and grey pieces I never learnt much about colour theory, which is what I am trying to make up for now. I also need to do some hardcore study on perspective, I love really far out perspective pieces, and would love to be able to do the same.

Anyway that's probably about as much as you will read before getting bored so I will leave any other info up for questioning, I am happy to answer.

I'm not afraid of harsh crit, in fact I am welcoming it. Only way to progress, right? Getting "oh that's awesome" from friends and family wont get me anywhere.

So here is a piece I am working on at the minute. I want to give it a very loose but controlled feel, at the minute I think I have gone too stiff. I also need to figure out the lighting and I have been fiddling about with the composition. I am quite happy with the colour palette, but it definitely needs more life to it.

Any crit will be thoroughly taken on board.

*preparing to crawl into a hole and never come out *

-Voo

Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
VooDude
portfolio
Jason
United Kingdom

Posted a month ago and not 1 reply, surely it's not that good that I can't get some crit on it...

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Generally speaking, if you don't get any replies on a WIP, it's because people can't really find anything in your work to comment on. That can be either a good thing or a bad thing, or even both. It's particularly difficult to critique when you've not really explained your thoughts or motivation behind the work, because people then don't really know what you're needing feedback on.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
GoodAsNew
Veteran
portfolio
Harri Aaltonen
Espoo, Finland

Here's some crit. Hopefully you are still following this.

Overally this looks fantastic imo. The color scheme, composition and values are good.

The stuff behind the gandalf guy needs a little bit more space. I mean make the hills behinds the trees slighly lighter so that it creates more contrast between them. It would give more openess there.

Or maybe my screen isn't calibrated right.

The weird horror tree at right has a bit "childish" design. It needs more unsymmetrical rythm. It would help if part of the tree goes out of the picture. now it looks like it doesnt belong to the landscape, because rest of the painting is composed of overlapping curvy shapes and the tree is just stiff, straight and flat slapped on top of all that.

The top of the tree also ends pretty much at the same heigth as the hills behind it. that flattens the space between them.

Last edited by GoodAsNew : 12-22-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread