Which techniques are good to model this 2D Art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Which techniques are good to model this 2D Art?

Hello CGTalk Community,

I had a three day Blender crash course in my university and now we have a voluntary homework to model a science fiction building with ice planet flavour. Like Noveria in Mass Effect.

We learned things like:
-Extrude
-NURBS and Bezier curves
-Subdivision Surface
-Edge Loops / Loopcut
-UV mapping
-Lightning

So I did some research in the www and found the following art: http://browse.deviantart.com/digita...rtress#/d42vtsq

I think it's possible to make this in Blender, maybe it's not so easy but I see this as a challenge for myself
I have time till Christmas Eve.

But I have some problems with the beginning, I've thought about in which way I can model the parts of the picture. I came to the following result:

- The Pipeline maybe with NURBS (the details with extrude and loopcuts)
- The weapon base, start with a cube and then extrude to get the right form (details in the same way?)
- The weapon itself, I think the difficult part, maybe also with a cube?
- The terrain, not so important, maybe later when I have time left

Good thing on this picture, when I finish the first tower I think I can mirror it and put it on the other side, because both are the same.

I hope I'am at the right place to answer those questions.
Thanks for your help.

Greetings, Strece

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Strece: HI had a three day Blender crash course in my university and now we have a voluntary homework to model a science fiction building with ice planet flavour.

Well good luck with that project. It seems ambitious for a 3 day course. Have you got previous experience with other 3D software?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Dillster: Well good luck with that project. It seems ambitious for a 3 day course. Have you got previous experience with other 3D software?

Of course I know that it will not be easy, I don't have any experience with other 3D software only the crash course in Blender and some own training at home.
But that doesn't answer my questions

Greetings, Strece

11 November 2012
From what you offered I go with edge loops and box modeling to achieve the design and turrets in the picture. The terrain is going to be the hard part as there is no easy way to silhouette that out so then I may turn to Nurbs though I tend to now like those as they cause more memory hog and crash issues. Good luck on the challenge!

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread