Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
OliverA
Veteran
portfolio
Oliver A
Compositor / VFX Generalist
United Kingdom

Painting Over 3D Models

Im working on a camera projected moving shot that has a city located quite far in the distance. Im currently modelling the city and instead of uv mapping everything and adding texture detail that way i am planning on just applying a simple prodecual texture that has displacement detail and then lighting and rendering the shot; then i will add dirt etc by hand. The camera move is a subtle dolly in and because the city is quite far away it hardly moves, this makes it possible to simply render out a frame of the city, paint over the top and then just simply project it into my composite. However i was wondering if there are any other, more suitable methods to paint over 3D render sequences. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Lead Environment Artist / Matte Painter
Double Negative
Central London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to nickmarshallvfx
The method you described there is used all the time in film vfx. A quick procedural or tiled texture to give you a base an a scale reference is a good idea as you said, and finishing up with projecting better textures is a great way of working as long as you are sure of the camera move

Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
OliverA
Veteran
portfolio
Oliver A
United Kingdom

thanks for the response! looks like i will use this approach. i was wondering why you said "as long as you are sure of the camera move", surely by projecting a still frame of the the city (in nuke) would give me the oppotunity to tweak the move slightly, as opposed to doing all the texture work in 3D and rendering out an image sequence.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Lead Environment Artist / Matte Painter
Double Negative
Central London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to nickmarshallvfx
Yes, you can absolutely tweak the camera move once the projections are set up, but obviously if you have a fully uv textured object its not a problem to move the camera somewhere totally different and rerender the sequence, but with projections there comes a point where if the camera is going to be moved again and again it might become more work fixing the projections than to just have fully textured the object in the first place.
But yes you are totally correct, you can tweak the camera, and often quite a lot before it does break the projections, but if you are working for a client that is likely to say 'can we have the camera around the other side of the building' then projections might not be the best option. I love working in this way with projections though, it gives great results!

Hope thay clears it up, sorry to confuse you!

N

Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
OliverA
Veteran
portfolio
Oliver A
United Kingdom

ah i see what you meant, thanks for the reply!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread