CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > NewTek Lightwave 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-05-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
shirudo
Veteran
gardener\landscaping

Lightbulb let's put the manual in order

I'm new to lightwave ,cgi and computers in general for that matter .And although I'm slowly but surely learning the ropes of 3d modeling I'm finding the answeres to the kinds of questions I have to be unneccisarily difficult to find (in the manual) for example let's say I opened modeler created an object then created another object and wanted to move it, shape it or delete it or whatever independantly from the first thing I created .how could I reselect the first element I created or join them together I feel this information should all be stated clearly in the first section on modeling but since it isn't any help I can get in regard to understanding the manual and reading it in the order it should have been written in would help alot

Old 12-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

It sounds to me like you need a crash course in the very basics of 3D. Unfortunately LW's manual is written at a more intermediate level.

I recommend looking for some tutorials online that will help you to become oriented with basic 3D principles.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
SplineGod
Have LW, will travel.....

3D Modeler/Animator

Send a message via ICQ to SplineGod Send a message via AIM to SplineGod
Re: let's put the manual in order

Depending on your point of view thats very true.
The manual as it stands is a pretty good reference but not great for tutorials. Its also already quite huge and mine destroys itself a little bit more each time I open it.

There are tutorials online at various places. In one of the threads at the top of the LW section theres a list somewhere of tutorials you can find online. I also have about 4 hours worth of free tutorials in quicktime format on my site (the link is in my Signature). If youre interested in a good Introduction to Intermediate Lightwave Course with online support you can check out a course I have HERE

Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
Insider

portfolio
Dan Ablan
Animator | Photographer | Author | Trainer
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.
Chicago, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Insider Send a message via AIM to Insider
Shirudo -

There are plenty of resources online, especially right at www.newtek.com
Visit there, and download the interface overview tutorials.

You might also want to pick up some "general" 3D books at your local bookstore. I find that Borders stocks better than Barnes & Noble. Just take an hour and browse - lots of great information out there.

Best of luck,

Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
JVitale
Frequenter

Here's a great site for LightWave tutorials from beginners to advanced...I've gotten most of my LightWave Education here.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

also the manual has gotten a complete overhaul and will now be available as a help file in html format which makes searching a lot easier. The next version of LightWave will contain a guide for absolute beginners and the printed version will be optional in the future...Yes, it was a long time coming but Newtek is aware of it and thanks to William Vaughn we have a better documentation system....
www.lalightwave.com

Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
roguenroll
concept / matte

Florida,
USA

Re: let's put the manual in order

Quote:
Originally posted by shirudo
I'm new to lightwave ,cgi and computers in general for that matter .And although I'm slowly but surely learning the ropes of 3d modeling I'm finding the answeres to the kinds of questions I have to be unneccisarily difficult to find (in the manual) for example let's say I opened modeler created an object then created another object and wanted to move it, shape it or delete it or whatever independantly from the first thing I created .how could I reselect the first element I created or join them together I feel this information should all be stated clearly in the first section on modeling but since it isn't any help I can get in regard to understanding the manual and reading it in the order it should have been written in would help alot

oh no, its all out there, LW has the best community and support.

I admit looking up to the top of mountain from the bottom, you don;t have a frame of reference. The tutorials are as plentiful
as locusts. I like to learning like that, and thats how I got started.

my site has a bunch of links, most are still active. (an update is due, I'll grant that)

Last edited by roguenroll : 12-05-2003 at 10:05 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
aurora
Riding the LWave

Tim Dunn
Software Eng/Freelance Graphics
USA

I'm actually really excited for the LW8 manual. So much so I'll probably dish out the extra bucks for a printed copy. I can 'almost' always find answers in the manual. But sadly there are many points that are really glossed over. Often a features option is covered in a single sentance which really does not give any info on it. Which I guess is a good thing because it causes me to have to play with the settings to figure it out. But many times I do not have and/or want to spend the time playing with settings to get something done. My vote is on Proton's changes taking care of most of these gloss overs.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #8
Steve Warner
Peacemaker

Graphic Designer

shirudo,

In addition to Larry's excellent tutorials, I've got some material that will be helpful if you're just starting out. These two tutorials in particular will help orient you to Modeler:

Modeling overview

Action Modes

Expect some good things to come with LightWave 8 in the way of documentation...

Cheers!

Steve

www.stevewarner.com

Old 12-06-2003, 06:51 AM   #9
Tom Wood
Apalled
Tom Wood
Producer
USA

I have to agree with shirudo,

When reading a 'manual' it is common expectation that first things will be first, and then build from there. But first things in the present manual start in Chapter 22 - Creating Geometry. Well after keyframing, bones, volumetrics, particles, distributed rendering...

And it doesn't help when the third party books/tutorials talk about how things used to be done. A new user is oblivious to the past.

As far as keeping the manual updated, the online version is great. But I would like to see a three hole punch version that has been designed with "this page/section/chapter intentionally left blank" pages that can be updated with PDF pages as they are created.

My 3 cents... And I still think the software is great.

TW

Old 12-06-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
m.d.
Know-it-All

3dbuzz.com has some good video tutorials for beginners.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #11
Chagidiel
Baby Götterdämmerung

Send a message via ICQ to Chagidiel
I feel it is time to give my words on this matter once.
I hear and have read alot of ill oppinions on the LW manual since I don´t know for how long.
I must now state that I actually enjoy the LW manual and that it has been a great help to me from the very beginning.

Of course it can be discussed how things are ordered up in it, but there is an index in the end. You can look things up if you want to know about certain things. It is not a novel that you need to reed from back to back in cronological order. If you want to start in modeler; read the first 2 chapters (alternately 3-5 as well) and then turn to chapter 20.

It appears somewhat strange to compare and rate manuals (since it is of major value what they are describing, and that can be very different things) but I have read a couple and can´t see that LW´s is worse than any other. Quite the oposite, in some cases. Besides it being informative and to-the-point (as a manual shoud) it is sometimes actually funny read... for example; In no other reference or documentational writing have I read the likes of:

"You can create a grid out of this object, like a matrix. (Unfortunately, no one can be told what the matrix is.)"

- LW7 manual 24.29 (regarding the Array Command) -

This of course doesn´t make a good manual, but it for sure makes i fun to keep on reading.
Then, the bottom line is that LW is a complex application capable of almost uncountable options and ways to use. There is no way the manual for such an app would be "easy" to read. There is no possibility of Insta-Learn-Chapters. There are tutorials (in the manual as well) helping you to get a hunch of what possibilities you have and what you can do with the tools LW offers. The manual is mainly a guide to where those tools are and how you use them. Imagine the thickness of the book telling you everything you COULD do with LW .

Let me end with a capital IMHO

Old 12-06-2003, 12:35 PM   #12
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Chagidiel, I don't think people think it's a crap manual, but I do think it's not entirely suitable for most beginners. It's definitely written at a more intermediate level - which is fine for some beginners, but not most.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #13
shirudo
Veteran
gardener\landscaping

so far I've found the tutorials refrenced above to be extremely helpful, particularly splinegods transport tutorials ,but I still havn't found the information I'm looking for with regard to multiple primatives . and as I discover more and more ways mess with individual objects I realize that my initial aproach may not have been the best way to go for the type of models I'm working on. still I imagine that at some point before I'm done I will definitely need to know how to shift between (and seperately manipulate) and/or join two seperate primitives in the same object file ,or maybe not. at any rate I'm sure there is a simple answere to be had. the manual (and the tutorials) describe the various tools great ,and perhaps I'm just missing the forrest for the trees

Old 12-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #14
Tom Wood
Apalled
Tom Wood
Producer
USA

Hi shirudo,

I reread your first message in this thread and wanted to point you toward Layers and Selection Sets, both referenced in the index. Unless the two objects just -have- to be joined, separate layers provide totally independent control. If they -must- be joined, then put them on seperate layers first (or keep them apart on one layer) and define some selection sets.

TW

Old 12-06-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
SplineGod
Have LW, will travel.....

3D Modeler/Animator

Send a message via ICQ to SplineGod Send a message via AIM to SplineGod
Thanks! Glad it was useful.
What are you interested in when it comes to primitives?
Also, what are you working on in particular?

Thread Closed share thread