CGTalk > Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #1
-JT-
Boulouch

Isoline modelers ?

I love Lightwave's modeler just because of the possibility to model in subdivs without the cage, but i do miss edge and ngons, so i was wondering :
is there a modeler out there with both the isoline mode and edge/ngons ?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #2
actarusprocyon
Frequenter

I'm not sure what you mean but in Wings3D you can model without a visible cage so all you see if the derived mesh and the isolines,I think C4D also can do it but I'm not sure.

Also,in SubD Mode Softimage Xsi displays isolines and no Hull.if that's what you mean.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
katon
point puller

portfolio
Katon Callaway
Lead Character Artist
DICE LA
Santa Monica, USA

yes in maya you can, they have both ways to do it. You can switch between using ngons and not. Its cool. Peace

Katon

Old 12-08-2003, 07:13 AM   #4
-JT-
Boulouch

Are you sure Maya can do this ? Softimage ?

here is a gif to explain what i mean :

Old 12-08-2003, 10:12 AM   #5
mtague
Frequenter
Melissa Tague
Sweden

Yes. It looks like Maya's subdivisional surfaces to me. You can have subdiv's in maya in standard mode, which is smooth with no cage, or polygon proxy mode which is rough with a cage (rounded with rough cage around it). The polygon proxy mode just makes a lower res poly looking model for working with, but the model is actually still subdiv's. If you render, the model is smooth. The polygon tools work with the poly proxy mode too. My learning book also shows how to make the subdiv's in proxy mode look like polys (no cage, all rough and pointy) but I don't know the settings that do that. And you can switch between modes pretty easily (though you might want to hotkey the mode switch for ease).

You should download the maya personal learning edition and try out subdiv to see if you like it. www.alias.com for the PLE. And if you can find it at a library, or borrow from someone, Jae-Jin Choi's Maya Character Animation has a nice subdiv tutorial. Or find a tutorial online.

Last edited by mtague : 12-08-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
-JT-
Boulouch

Thnaks Mtague, i didn't know Maya had this, i'll have to try it

Old 12-08-2003, 02:50 PM   #7
Theht
cyclist

portfolio
Sven
Göttingen, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Theht
Softimage xsi can do this you can switch betwenn all types iso line, cage and so on, and for 3dsmax there is a script wihch can do this. And yes in wings you can switch also throw the types.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
tobiasniva
Veteran

Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to tobiasniva
What script...?

...and where could I find it?

/Thanx in advance

Old 12-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
Theht
cyclist

portfolio
Sven
Göttingen, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Theht
on www.scriptspot.com

its called sub-d or somethink like this

Old 12-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #10
mtague
Frequenter
Melissa Tague
Sweden

No problem. I've just started using subdiv's myself and it's really easy so far with really nice results.

Old 12-09-2003, 05:57 AM   #11
katon
point puller

portfolio
Katon Callaway
Lead Character Artist
DICE LA
Santa Monica, USA

I like mayas sub d's they are nice, especialy since you can switch form a proxy mode and refine the model from a level 0 mesh and the step back into a more detailed mode instantly. The only problem i have with them is, history, it kills me after a while. I used sub d's i maya 4 and have not used them so much lately cause i could never delete the history corectly with tou screwing up the geometry and topology, and then the mesh would just get very heavy and start to suck to model with. So does anyone know how to delete history on a sub d mesh, and it not screw up the history, or am i just dumb. Thanks

Katon

Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 PM   #12
mtague
Frequenter
Melissa Tague
Sweden

My book says that switching from proxy mode to standard deletes the construction history. I don't know if that differs much from deleting history from the edit menu. I do notice my file's size lowers when I switch modes. I also convert to polys at times (usually to merge two halves) and reconvert back to subdiv's, and then adjust things a bit, add detail. I think deleting the history after converting to polys, and right before converting back to subdivs should work ok? I haven't had any issues... though I guess I'll find out once I delete history on my model when I'm done tweaking for the bind.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Goon

portfolio
Ezra Schwepker
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to Goon
I haven't been able to use lightwave, but I think what you are talking about is directly manipulating the surface? As in actually being able to select a point on the surface and pull it around?

Maya, doesn't have this. Neither does wings. They each work with the proxy cage, even if at times the cage is not shown.

Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #14
katon
point puller

portfolio
Katon Callaway
Lead Character Artist
DICE LA
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Goon
I haven't been able to use lightwave, but I think what you are talking about is directly manipulating the surface? As in actually being able to select a point on the surface and pull it around?

Maya, doesn't have this. Neither does wings. They each work with the proxy cage, even if at times the cage is not shown.

Well Goon, maya does do this and we stated this already. That is what you do while in standard mode in maya. Try it out and you will see. You can get as detailed as you like with the surface and switch back to a proxy mode with just the cage and the detail remains. So yes you can do it in maya. And i do know what you are talking about.

Katon

Old 12-11-2003, 07:36 AM   #15
-JT-
Boulouch

Katon, could you describe precisely the process ?
I asked in the Maya forum and i was told you couldn't do this in Maya...

Thread Closed share thread