Nurb modeling Help for Noob

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Nurb modeling Help for Noob

i'm trying to learn modeling in Maya v2013 mac. i had trouble modeling this tube cap in Modo and i thought i'd see how i could accomplish the 'scalloping' of the cap lid in Maya.

i've tried about 6 or 7 different ways to get that concave form to the mesh and i just can't get a clean shallow 'scallop' no matter what i do.

so, i guess my question is... how would one go about making this indent in the cap for the flip top of this tube?

my last attempt was to cut out the basic shape from a curve that i projected onto a nurb shape. i've tried to attach a half cylinder shape to the curve shape, but i just can't get it to combine in any way.

obviously i'm a noob and i just need some guidance... can't seem to find anything specifically pertaining to this problem.

attached should be an image of the full tube and a detail photo of the flip cap.

thanks so much in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0064_full.jpg (56.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0064_detail.jpg (83.8 KB, 7 views)

10 October 2012
this would probably be done using intersections and trimming the resulting pieces. Since the 'indent' is in opposite directions for the cap vs the body youd have to do them separately. Its a bit hard to describe with words but this is typical Industrial Design surfacing. Your best bet would be to go review some tutorials for modeling with other nurbs applications like Rhino. The tools are all the same, its the process you need to get a grasp on.

10 October 2012
As Jason says you'll want to sculpt the cylindrical part of the cap and then a second shape that intersects that will become the scallop/indention.

From there you can use the Surface>Edit Nurbs>Intersect Surfaces

This will put a curve on surface of both shapes. Then you'll want to use the TrimTool to remove parts of both surfaces.

Okay so this gets you part of the way there.. usually you'd want there to be a gap so that you can then do a fillet between the to surface to create a smoother transition.

One way to create that gap is to make copies of the original surface and scale them when making the curves on surface when doing the intersection.

10 October 2012
thank you very much fellas. i'm still a bit confused, but only because i've been trying the methods that you described and i can't see to get the trim tool to work out for me. i've tried boole as well and that's not working either.

i've attached another pic to show you how i've created a separate scallop and i'm trying to attach it to the cap. i think i've got it 'attached' but i can't seem to trim away the extra bits. i've tried the trim tool, but it just deletes the main cap and leaves the scallop with it's extra bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2012-10-08 at 8.46.14 PM.jpg (67.9 KB, 9 views)

10 October 2012
This explains trims pretty well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2blYvA4NBY

This one explains the using the trims and fillets

http://library.creativecow.net/arti.../car_wheel1.php

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread