DIFFERENT TOOLS TO ANIMATE: Faster & Easier

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
DIFFERENT TOOLS TO ANIMATE: Faster & Easier

Hi everybody,

Coming from CFT-Gobelins, i worked during 12 years in video games development mostly as Lead Animator. But i'm crazy about ergonomy and designing new ways to animate with unique purpose: really easier, really faster and with the best comfort of work.

About 9 years ago, i designed the complete animation/mesh preparation pipeline of Eden Games intern software.

Please take a look here (tech videos): http://vimeo.com/acharrier

Coming from traditional animation, standard softwares always seemed to me complicated and laborious : i mean, my job is to animate, so, making posings and edit timings, and not to spend time to "handle" the software.
From their beginnings, 3D softwares are generalists, using about same windows and manipulators for all needs. They were all built on about the same basis and today they all look the same.
My idea was to going back to foundations:
- Re-work the joint to finally use it as it deserves. What is the interest of curve controller when you can select easily your joint and reset all its channels ? no more (at least for the body)!
- Propose a keyframes manager really designed to handle keyframes: with all keys easy to locate, easy to grab, easy to edit (with special rules).
- Find an IK style solver system with all the advantages of standard IK but without its disadvantages. Something you can put in 2 clicks, which is ready to work and easy to handle.
- And lots of other features, layouts and rules that make you go fast ! really fast !
And of course, i wanted that all of this be fully generic ! no specific dev per characters or else, all of this work for everything !

Please share your opinions with me !

This software represents the past, and i've got lots of ideas for future.
Today i'm no more at Eden Games, i would like to find a role in R&D as User Experience Designer in Animation software. I really believe anim workflows need to be deeply improved. I think lots of users would like fresh features and most of all, easier.
There are really things to do !

Please find as attached piece a hierarchy comparison illustrating well my vision of pipeline

Thank you

Cordially

Aurelien

Last edited by Aurel77 : 11 November 2012 at 05:06 PM.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread