Byteman3D
Expert

portfolio
Nezih Kanbur
Graphic Designer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman3D Send a message via MSN to Byteman3D
Realistic people solutions for 3dsmax

When I take any freelance architectural project a painful ache emerges from my stomach during the progression of the work. Can anyone recommend a powerful painkiller?

My problem is mainly people and bit lower degree of pain on trees.

I ve used RPCs. They're with one word "unacceptable" Not to mention their lack of quality and hard to solve brightness issues, severe shadow problems, disappearing shadows or reflections when the rpc is out of view, crashes when a single frame of the rpc data is corrupt puts this plugin to number one on my long list of "Worst plugins of all times"

I ve seen AXYZ models, too. The first versions of their models are like people jumped out of computer games from 1990's, tha freak you out when you're trapped in a corner with one of those. There are newer ones, you may remember the face of the semi chinese guy with sunglasses from their advertisement banners around here. "Wow!" I thought at first but when I saw the models at a friend- It's all the same in quality, just some new map channels added like reflections on the sunglasses. (I haven't been looking lately though.Might have improved.)

I've seen some evermodels. Apart from their higher polygons compared to AXYZ's, their textures are again very much the same with the above mentioned games. They look just "dirty"

I'm not clear on what I'm looking for, but in this age, there must be some photographic quality sets of 3D people models I believe. I even found some of them on the internet - unfortunately all were categorized under a folder named "Sexy girls collection!!" They're no use for an architectural animation. None of them in daily clothes but they re ok! With a good rendering engine, they're hard to separate from photograph.

But these are definitely like scanned. Probably some Poser models. Isn't there any collection of that high quality and easy-to-place people sets?

1.Do you have any recommendations for this subject?

2. Trees can be found more easily but they also have very long rendering times. An idea for faster rendering trees is also appreciated.

Best regards

Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
tryhard
Frequenter
portfolio
K.Dinkel
Germany

... yes RPCs are low quality ... i use them for PreVis

if you want a pure 3D solution you can use image planes ... or a mix of RPCs in the backgound and ImagePlanes with highres images in the foreground ... which i prefer

the last step i do in photoshop ... use vizpeople libraries

there is no easy way to do it ... it is exactly like you say

Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
danim8eer
Veteran
portfolio
daniel Gray
Visualization Artist
5+Design
Los%2BAngeles,

If you're going for just a static render there are some good libraries of low poly people that can be populated into your scene in the background and then I normally use viz people for the foreground.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Yeah I have an archi concept job atm and make my own figures, but that is my thing so I have it a bit easier maybe. If I was doing a full blown pres I would put my max stuff in vue and toy around with poser figures. You can use scenery backdrops in vue as well. Check out the city engine its a blast.

Buying really good higher res figures is an option but you are going to be stuck with high poly counts and the last really good looking hires figure I was given to animate was with CS and a real nightmare to work with plus the thing was fairly costly.

Maybe I will make a set for you guys!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
spacefrog
Frog of the posts

Josef Wienerroither
Freelance
Vienna, Austria

Another good way for this would be downloading/registering Daz3D Studio Pro - It's still free ATM i think. Then buy some cheap clothing/outfit extensions at Daz which work with the Genesis model (comes with Daz3D STudio) and is completly parameterizable and of course poesable and animateable.
Daz Studio features an FBX export option which works pretty well, including textures, anims and even the rig. And you can specify the export resolution ( polywise )
It works pretty well imho

http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-s...t-is-daz-studio

@Kanga

No way i would put my Max scene into Vue and make me rely on that Software . Vue is a total crashfest in my experience

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 10-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

In my experience it just doesn't work, regardless how good the 3d people are.
It's like the only thing clients are able to judge easily, and then they will be like "what are those ridiculous people, can you please make them normal looking".
For some reason I haven't figured out yet, 3d people wont even work from a distance, there is something weird about their shape.
I think what most do with archviz animations is using planes with static bitmaps or greenscreen clips, or adding them in post with after effects.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Yeah Daz genises looks amazing. I have it as a reference tool and it is a knockout. I am wondering how you would animate the figures for your scene and incorporate the end product. You would only use a few closer and all the rest could be the low ones.

As far as max in vue I havent done it yet. Tried xstream but my comp wasnt powerful enough to pull reasonable render times coupled with the fact that I am not up on good practices with the software, but those skies!!!

Yeah figures are an excellent way to reference volumes. I think they are left out of most viz for the reasons mentioned.
Quote:
In my experience it just doesn't work, regardless how good the 3d people are.

edit. With decent mocap should be able to make a decent fist of it.

Last edited by Kanga : 10-09-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread