Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Metropolia School of Art and Deisgn
Vantaa, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Dekus
Photoshop CS6 Lag!

Anyone having slow Photoshop CS6 as well?

Situation:
- Used CS5 before - absolutely no problem.. no lag.. everything just perfect.
- Got myself the CS6 Production Premium pack
- Using Photoshop now for about 2-3 weeks
- Noticing real bad lag in pretty much everything!
- Set OpenGL mode to Minimal (Maximum lagged soo bad!)
- Set photoshop to have nice amounts of RAM and GPU ram
- Still laggy
- Just selecting something + Ctrl-T on it + drag it around and scaling = lags behind.. :(

NOT FUN! :(

Also.. the all new Crop -tool.... it just makes me cry. Absolutely un-usable now.. Took me 3 seconds to make a quick selection and press Enter before. Now - its all a mess.

I have:
Intel i7 930
10Gigs 1600Mhz RAM
2x 1Tb HDD 6Gb/s
Nvidia GTX 470
Win 7 x64

http://j2dab.blogspot.com/
dekus.carbonmade.com

Last edited by Dekus : 09-29-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Erka2
Lord of the posts

There is an option to use old Crop tool.
Not lagging for me, maybe hardware related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekus
Anyone having slow Photoshop CS6 as well?

Situation:
- Used CS5 before - absolutely no problem.. no lag.. everything just perfect.
- Got myself the CS6 Production Premium pack
- Using Photoshop now for about 2-3 weeks
- Noticing real bad lag in pretty much everything!
- Set OpenGL mode to Minimal (Maximum lagged soo bad!)
- Set photoshop to have nice amounts of RAM and GPU ram
- Still laggy
- Just selecting something + Ctrl-T on it + drag it around and scaling = lags behind.. :(

NOT FUN! :(

Also.. the all new Crop -tool.... it just makes me cry. Absolutely un-usable now.. Took me 3 seconds to make a quick selection and press Enter before. Now - its all a mess.

I have:
Intel i7 930
10Gigs 1600Mhz RAM
2x 1Tb HDD 6Gb/s
Nvidia GTX 470
Win 7 x64

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Dekus
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Vantaa, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erka2
There is an option to use old Crop tool.
Not lagging for me, maybe hardware related.

You mean the "Use classic Crop tool mode"?
Nope.. It doesn't help. Is there any plugin that replaces the new Crop tool with the CS5 Crop tool? like.. completely..

Also.. If its hardware related - then why CS5 worked just fine, but CS6 doesn't. = means that CS6 is heavier.

Anyway.. Anyone has any ideas/tricks on how to make the CS6 Photoshop run as fast as possible?

dekus.carbonmade.com

Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

CS6 doesn't seem to be known for lag, so it isn't a widespread problem. It is easier on RAM too, which makes your problem all the more puzzling.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Dekus
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Vantaa, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
CS6 doesn't seem to be known for lag, so it isn't a widespread problem. It is easier on RAM too, which makes your problem all the more puzzling.

CS6 added a lot of GPU using features and switched many tasks onto the GPU processor. Thats what I have heard.. and also noticed. Now with CS6 - even with basic usage like Smudge -tool, makes my GPU go like a little jet engine.

Anyway... the point here was = Does anyone have any iedas/tips/tricks on how to make the most possible performance out of Photoshop CS6?

dekus.carbonmade.com

Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Yes lag here too, exactly as you describe really choppy when panning the canvas. I have similar specs although my GPU is a GTX275.

I personally find it a bit of a joke tbh. Turning the acceleration down screws with the colour management in fullscreen. Its got to the point where i am seriously considering getting a workstation class graphics card (provided its garanteed to be bug free), still they claim the card is supported, it clearly isnt with that sort of performance, feels like it pans at 8fps or somthing.

Makes the program feel so bloated.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Dekus
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Vantaa, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by conbom
Yes lag here too, exactly as you describe really choppy when panning the canvas. I have similar specs although my GPU is a GTX275.

I personally find it a bit of a joke tbh. Turning the acceleration down screws with the colour management in fullscreen. Its got to the point where i am seriously considering getting a workstation class graphics card (provided its garanteed to be bug free), still they claim the card is supported, it clearly isnt with that sort of performance, feels like it pans at 8fps or somthing.

Makes the program feel so bloated.

Man.. yep. That's why I made this topic.. to find why is it lagging and most importantly, how to make the CS6 work as fast as CS5 was.

"Turning the acceleration down screws with the colour management in fullscreen" What the...? really? I haven't noticed..
When I find a job - I'll get myself a fresh new Kepler GTX 670.. :/

dekus.carbonmade.com

Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I've noticed lag too when panning around in the canvas, and I'm using a Quadro 6000 and 64GB of ram. It just feels a lot slower than CS5.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Dekus
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Vantaa, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3ta
I've noticed lag too when panning around in the canvas, and I'm using a Quadro 6000 and 64GB of ram. It just feels a lot slower than CS5.

What did you just say?... 64Gb RAM?.. xD what the...? haha
Its quite sad... :( I didn't expect to pay money to get a laggy program.. Compared to CS5.

Any ideas how to optimize PS CS6 to make it as fast as CS5?

dekus.carbonmade.com

Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

On the Adobe forums people have said that hiding the layers panel helps. I've noticed it helps a little, but still just doesn't feel as fast as CS5.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

A couple of months ago I had had enough of all the bloated fluff in Photoshop, and its limitations in regards to pure image editing. Ever more new "features" that have absolutely nothing to do with Photoshop's main core tools in regards to image processing and editing (sluggish and semi-useless patched-on 3d tools, video, etc.), slow processing, laggy behaviour, huge installation, the ever-increasing DRM paranoia on the part of Adobe... I had had enough. I want premium image editing tools, and I am not interested in all that other stuff that other software specializes in and Photoshop's dev team trying to keep up with Mari. I feel like Photoshop has lost its way a bit, and is trying to be everyone's newest best friend, while alienating the old crowd.

So I switched to Photoline. May not have the fancy pancy Photoshop fluff, but excels in image editing, and actually does it better than Photoshop. And a mere 30mb. It has some rough corners, but so does Photoshop.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

I know this doesn't really help, but I've found CS6 to be faster that CS5. I've not experienced any lag or similar problems, so it does sound like it could be hardware related.

If it's any help trouble shooting, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, 24GB ram, GTX580 (1.5GB) and a 120GB SSD scratch disk.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Dekus
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Yuri Yablokov
Student
Vantaa, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
A couple of months ago I had had enough of all the bloated fluff in Photoshop, and its limitations in regards to pure image editing. Ever more new "features" that have absolutely nothing to do with Photoshop's main core tools in regards to image processing and editing (sluggish and semi-useless patched-on 3d tools, video, etc.), slow processing, laggy behaviour, huge installation, the ever-increasing DRM paranoia on the part of Adobe... I had had enough. I want premium image editing tools, and I am not interested in all that other stuff that other software specializes in and Photoshop's dev team trying to keep up with Mari. I feel like Photoshop has lost its way a bit, and is trying to be everyone's newest best friend, while alienating the old crowd.

So I switched to Photoline. May not have the fancy pancy Photoshop fluff, but excels in image editing, and actually does it better than Photoshop. And a mere 30mb. It has some rough corners, but so does Photoshop.

I totally agree with you.
In my experience and opinion: Photoshop CS3 was THE best/fastest Photoshop that there ever was so far... I loved CS5 though for the Canvas rotate tool.. Its pure gold.
I paint digitally in Photoshop.. so I personally don't need any of those fancy filters, video editing... you got After Effects for that.. :/
As for 3D.. I am a 3d student and I have tried it out now in CS6. Here are my results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-7b...e=results_video
And here is the final result: http://j2dab.blogspot.fi/2012/09/yo...production.html
Its pretty neat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ
I know this doesn't really help, but I've found CS6 to be faster that CS5. I've not experienced any lag or similar problems, so it does sound like it could be hardware related.

If it's any help trouble shooting, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, 24GB ram, GTX580 (1.5GB) and a 120GB SSD scratch disk.

Yeah.. doesn't really help. But from the comments so far - it seems that to get rid of the lag you just need to acquire a supercomputer.

dekus.carbonmade.com

Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

I'm running win 7 x64, 64GB ram with a 120gb SSD too. Only difference is the quadro 6000 card. I think this card just sucks at opengl stuff. or maybe need to play around with finding a better driver

Me and my co-worker were just alking about this, I fee like just installing cs3 or something. I'm so sick of Adobe cramming more and more 3d crap and bloated features into photoshop. I wish tye had 2 versions of the software, one like it is now, and a streamlined version, without all the video, 3d features.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekus
from the comments so far - it seems that to get rid of the lag you just need to acquire a supercomputer.
Or simply don't upgrade from CS5

Thread Closed share thread