CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Feedback wanted:Yun female Character concept

Hi There,

This is actually my first post to this forum so bare with me if something goes wrong. But I do like to improve my work and I thought that by posting it to the cgtalk galleries I would get some constructive feed back. So I got a message that I should post it in the WIP forum.

Anyway, this is on of the characters that I created a while a go for story that plays out around 1900 called the Red Baron. Without going to deep in to the story it was meant to be in a steam punk/sucker punch style. I also shall post the initial design.

Done in photoshop.

Thanks guys,

Pascal

Last edited by PascaldeJong : 09-26-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: better title

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Nice work. The goggles seem a bit to close together.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
Nice work. The goggles seem a bit to close together.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose they are a bit to close. But can you also find something in the top image. I have submitted about 7 images to cgtalk and they where all decline for some technical or artistic misshape. So I believe I am missing something and I have thought that before in my work. So hence the post.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Maybe the lighting? Did you have good reference for that? The left hands pinky finger looks a little like it needs something. But not worth getting declined. You got the wrong judge.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
Maybe the lighting? Did you have good reference for that? The left hands pinky finger looks a little like it needs something. But not worth getting declined. You got the wrong judge.

Actually it was not this one the was refused just all the other ones. I am now just being cautious and take the advise from the email.

No not a reference for the lighting. I could check about that. The only reference used was from the concept drawing under it. And the proces of that I posted here.

Last edited by PascaldeJong : 09-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Why does her upper eyelid pull down to either side of her nose bridge? Is she a mutant of some kind?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
Why does her upper eyelid pull down to either side of her nose bridge? Is she a mutant of some kind?

Yes she is. Didn't think anyone would notice that.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:

But do you feel it is akward or strange in anyway?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Gaelstrom
portfolio
David K
MESA, USA

Hello, Pascalde. I just wanted to say I am very impressed with your detail work. I enjoy your color and lighting as well, I was looking at it for a while. On its own, I cannot see anything I dislike, but I was curious about your reasoning behind the 'eye gills' as well. They are most definitely a unique feature, but as you've mentioned above, I personally find them awkward because there doesn't seem to be anything else about her that makes her different than a human besides that one anomaly.

Based solely on this picture to understand her character, I would say it may bring up more questions about 'what' that is rather than 'why' that is from a storytelling perspective. I guess perhaps more related details that follow that part of her race/character/story could help make it a more complete aspect of her?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelstrom
Hello, Pascalde. I just wanted to say I am very impressed with your detail work. I enjoy your color and lighting as well, I was looking at it for a while. On its own, I cannot see anything I dislike, but I was curious about your reasoning behind the 'eye gills' as well. They are most definitely a unique feature, but as you've mentioned above, I personally find them awkward because there doesn't seem to be anything else about her that makes her different than a human besides that one anomaly.

Based solely on this picture to understand her character, I would say it may bring up more questions about 'what' that is rather than 'why' that is from a storytelling perspective. I guess perhaps more related details that follow that part of her race/character/story could help make it a more complete aspect of her?

Hi David,

Thanks for you reply. It is very usefull. I Did put some extra elements in it but apparently it doesn't come across. For instance the vains on the skin and in the eyes are more visible than you would see in the avarage human.
But very usefull indeed. I'll do something about it.

Cheers,

Pascal

Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaldeJong
Yes she is. Didn't think anyone would notice that.

How can anyone not notice that, its so in your face, in the close up.

The eye-lips themselves are good case to get rejected from the gallery. If there is a reason for the long lips, then it should be explain, as otherwise, people will think its poor understanding of the human face.

In any case, I am totally not feeling the eyelips.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD

The eye-lips themselves are good case to get rejected from the gallery. If there is a reason for the long lips, then it should be explain, as otherwise, people will think its poor understanding of the human face.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaldeJong
But do you feel it is akward or strange in anyway?

Because it's an isolated mutation, it can cause misunderstanding. Why didn't you say anything about it when you described the character design? Also, because that mutation is not obvious in the full-body images, it creates further confusion. The decision to mutate her nose bridge itself isn't necessarily a good one either. Human aesthetic sensibility is very specific, and there are specific parameters that you need to consider when creating a mutant that is supposed to attractive. It's best to mutate parameters that are not vital to our universal aesthetic sensibility.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKD

Thanks for your critique, I didn't realise so many people would fall over this. But I understand where your comming from. I actually took the idea from my cat. She has these black lines that go from the eye corners over the side of her nose. I didn't like the idea of putting making a cat nose, pointy ears, whiskers and so on and so forth. I thought it would give her a little bit of the cat like character.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
PascaldeJong
portfolio
Pascal de Jong
Owner
storyboards.nl
Leeuwarden, Netherlands

Quote:
Agreed.

Because it's an isolated mutation, it can cause misunderstanding. Why didn't you say anything about it when you described the character design? Also, because that mutation is not obvious in the full-body images, it creates further confusion. The decision to mutate her nose bridge itself isn't necessarily a good one either. Human aesthetic sensibility is very specific, and there are specific parameters that you need to consider when creating a mutant that is supposed to attractive. It's best to mutate parameters that are not vital to our universal aesthetic sensibility.

Thanks for your critique.
I didn't put it in the original post to get a first reaction without to much influence. Sorry about that. Anyway you've convinced me I shall redesign the character.
Cheers

Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread