yet another mapping question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2002   #1
Arrow yet another mapping question

lets say I have a poly head. I want cylindrical mapping, and I want top of the head and bottom of the head to be planar mapped. Now the problem is that I want 'smooth' transition between planar mapped faces and cylindrical mapped faces...

I saw a project in 'digital texturing and painting' book where guy mapped a poly head like this. top (and bottom) of the head is not connected to head at all in UV texture editor! but, surface is perfectly mapped, there is no seam or anything...? there's no clear explanation in the book how did he acheived this...?
can anyone give me some clues?
thanx

p.s. sorry about bad english!

Old 01 January 2002   #2
im not sure that i totally get what you are saying, but it sounds like the guy just did some major uv editing. this would have been possible for him if his hardware texturing was high in quality.

Old 01 January 2002   #3
YES IT IS JUST ABOUT REALINING THE UV'S IN THE TEXTURE EDITOR. CHOOSE THE DISPLAY MOPTIONS SO BOTH THE CYLINDRICAL MAP AND THE 2 PLANER MAP UV'S ARE DISPLAYED AT ONCE. AND MATCH EM UP.
ALL THIS IS OBVIOUSLY DONE WITH ONE TEXTURE FILE IMAGE.

Old 01 January 2002   #4
you can use alpha maps to blend between two textures files...

tutorial here

i've never actually tried it.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread