Feedback please! / Alien commandant

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Feedback please! / Alien commandant

Hello, this is my first post , heheh.. Hope I can get some feedback on this new character concept I have been working on lately. It's not all finished. I just came up with this concept randomly, playing out with sketchbook pro and the mirror in 'y' feature. While working on it, I wanted to direct my design towards a character similar to Batman's Bane, as in the way he is a bad ass. Also I come up with the breathing headset (don't know how to call it , hehehe), I did that to give it an alien feeling, because at the end, i decided that he was an alien after all. That's why i messed up with the proportions of the head. Finally, the general idea I want to create with this character is this: An alien general/commandant that is a bad ass, someone that you wouldn't mess with and would avoid at all cost.

Thank you for reading, I hope I can get some feedback on this one, since I want to get my 2D skills higher. (Of course I'll take this concept later on to 3D).
Please note that this will be part of my portfolio I'll present to Gnomon in order to be accepted., so please, be hard on this since I really want to be accepted, hehehe.

Last edited by kerben : 09 September 2012 at 06:45 PM.

09 September 2012
Here is some of my process:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (80.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (81.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by kerben : 09 September 2012 at 06:55 PM.

09 September 2012

Last edited by kerben : 09 September 2012 at 06:56 PM.

09 September 2012

I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you!

09 September 2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)

09 September 2012
If this is a character concept, shouldn't you show the entire character?

Usually, you want your concept art to be as concrete as possible, as it will be used in pre-production planning and also during production, where other artists have to take your concept art and recreate it in 3D. If your concept art is vague, the production artists will have no idea what to make of it. Although this concept is for yourself, if you want to show it in your portfolio, you must treat it like you're doing it for a commercial production. The concept must make it clear what type of materials and surfaces are on your subject--be it skin, leather, plastic, metal, etc. The proportions of your character must also look exactly as how the final 3D version would look, as the 3D artists will base their version on your concept art.

If your main goal is to be a 3D artist, then it's probably unrealistic to expect your concept images to be near that of professional level concept artist, illustrator, etc. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't study and practice the critical foundations of visual art, as that is universal across all visual mediums and applies to everything visual. The number reason why 3D artists fail is because they don't learn the foundations the way 2D artists do, and they rely on the generative tools in 3D to fake a sense of polish, when all the underlying structure and artistic visual design are weak and broken.

If you have never been to the Art Techniques and Theories forum here at cgtalk (linked below in my signature), you should go there and read the stickies--it'll help you greatly in your artistic development.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread