Rendering issues on manually simplified mesh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Question Rendering issues on manually simplified mesh

Hello everybody,

I have modeled this washbasin, which is taking some efforts to get rendered correctly.
I wonder if there is something wrong with the mesh or the way I modeled it.

I just made a rough mesh, sub-patched it and then lowered the poly-count by manually removing some polygons, as shown in the following 2 pictures:

In short, I just merged polys and removed the unnecessary points (pic above).
I did this in several parts of the mesh, but carefully. The result is shown in the following pictures.

The mesh has no apparent issues, no disjoint points or double/overlapping polys. Everything seems in order.
Several polys are non planar, but that's common when you work with sub-patched models.

Once rendered, I got this.

I guess that was because of the non-planar polys, so I selected them from the "statistics" panel and tripled.
Here is the render after that. Still, there are lots of issues. Why?!

So I tripled ALL the polys, but still some issues.

As a last attempt, I tried setting the material to double-sided.
After that, the rendering looks correct, as below.

But why do I have to triple my model entirely and make the material double-side (lengthening the rendering time too) to get a proper result?

Maybe there's something wrong with the mesh, which I inadvertently caused while modeling?

Thanks for yr help in advance.
Giacomo

Old 09 September 2012   #2
you should not have to triple if you going to subpatch, although you can. try merging points,
you can also adjust the threshold of this action to include points at further distances.

you may may want to rework/redo your mesh. you could also try a higher Sub D level or
use Catmull Sub D's

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I completely don't understand why are you simplifying such simple mesh...

I would increase number of polygons to have nice smooth bath, instead of trying to reduce.

Quality should be priority in archiviz scene. I would never accept quality showed in picture with green checkmark. Even 3d games have smoother geometry in 2012 games..

Bath will be used in 3d game? I don't think so..

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Make sure all your polygons are 4-sided only. Then remove any creases found on edges. Phoung shading doesn't appear smooth on creased edges.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread