Create a program to "cruise" around a fully rendered 3D model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Smile Create a program to "cruise" around a fully rendered 3D model

Hey guys,
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't too sure which section this would go under.
Ok, I'm wondering how I might go about making a sort of program that allows me to use my mouse and/or keyboard to freely move around my fully rendered 3D model. Similar to the SSS-Subsurface Scattering demo that was released a little while back.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or link me to some tutorials of how I could achieve this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

10 October 2012
Check out 3d pdf's. Basically a model imbedded into a pdf that you can zoom around in.
Also you can download the fbx quicktime plugin which allows you to view models in 3d in quicktime.

While both the above solutions work great there is very little hardware rendering and lighting to play with. The best solution I think would be to bring your model into unity (free version) and you can easily output it for web or a standalone app as a simple model viewer.

10 October 2012
One thought that came to mind was Sketchfab
https://sketchfab.com/browse/faved

you bake shadow/render to texture. The quality might not be perfect but you would not have to worry about performance. Downside is that it works good for chrome or firefox not explorer. just a thought...cheers..

10 October 2012
Another option would be the website p3d.in (my work displayed here: http://p3d.in/u/GenesisMan).

You just upload an obj and tweak the basic lighting/shader presets and voila! You can also add a diffuse, bump and spec map if you have them. The on-the-fly shader swaps and sub division is also really nice.

Just note, this doesn't work for all computers or browsers.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread