reflection illumination problems

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
reflection illumination problems

I'm trying to get some nice reflections going on a windshield, but I'm having some really odd (to me, anyways) problems with getting the reflections to look reaistic.

I'm using a relfection map in the reflected color slot, and I'm using a sampler info/ramp controling the reflectivity. I'm using a second sampler info/ramp controlling the transparency of the glass. This second ramp is essentially the opposite of the reflectivity ramp. I'm doing this on the logic I have read about the amount of reflected light and transparent light should add up to one.

well it looks pretty cruddy. and the reflections are just not realistic looking. When I look at the picture of any windshield outdoors, I notice that its very reflective. And light colors get strongly reflected, while dark colors do not. The glass is much more transparent in the dark colored areas. I can't seem to duplicate this effect.

To complicate things further, it seems that as my refelctivity settings increase, the glass starts illuminating anything behind it. Its like the reflection map is self illuminating. So in the case of having a dark interior of the car, the illumination almost ats like a lightsource and brightens the interior of the car!

Can anyone shed some light on making a realsitc windshield shader? I'm truly coming to my wits end Thanks in advance...

J

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread