Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
BojanStankovski
Veteran
portfolio
Bojan Stankovski
Macedonia

I have hard time sculpting in Zbrush

Hey guys, i am trying to learn anatomy, so i choose to watch reference and try to sculpt that in Zbrush. I started first with the human skull,. It's freaking hard, i am using tablet, bamboo, but i have no idea what to do. I watched what the brushes does, but to be honest, it's damn hard. I am just doing something that i have no idea what to do.

I have no background art, don't know how to draw or paint or to sculpt in traditional way.

I really need some advice.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink read more

Quote:
Originally Posted by BojanStankovski
Hey guys, i am trying to learn anatomy, so i choose to watch reference and try to sculpt that in Zbrush. I started first with the human skull,. It's freaking hard, i am using tablet, bamboo, but i have no idea what to do. I watched what the brushes does, but to be honest, it's damn hard. I am just doing something that i have no idea what to do.

I have no background art, don't know how to draw or paint or to sculpt in traditional way.

I really need some advice.

Bold mine. You mean, the kind that can be found in tutorial videos and books?

This is a serious answer. I have the same problem when it come to 3d animation and game programming. Tutorial videos (youtubes / vimeos) and internet articles helps a lot (so is paid video tuts and books).

And last but not least, although some might hate me for this, there are things that you might just can't do. I tried to draw using normal wacom, and i just can't. Cinqic are invented for people like me.

Last edited by fablefox : 09-03-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more info

Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Well art is hard, and you should read advises from good people on the old thread of yours about similar issue http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=2&t=1009631

Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Check out Ryan's Zbrush workshops. I think it's the best tutorial when it comes to anatomy in Zbrush.

Highly recommend this Zombie workshop.
http://www.zbrushworkshops.com/intr...to-zbrush.html#

Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
BojanStankovski
Veteran
portfolio
Bojan Stankovski
Macedonia

Because i am new at this, i want to see how to sculpt a skull in Zbrush. then i will go for muscles and so on.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
sonn
Know-it-All

start sculpting...

-sculpt a skull out of a sphere in 15 minutes. Use image reference.
-once 15 minutes is up, stop and write down any mistakes you have made/lessons you learned.(example: "i wasted too much time on one section of the skull", or "I focused on the details when I should've spend more time on the general shape of the skull", or "jaw should be smaller", etc) ...don't worry if you don't get much sculpting done in a 15 minute time span.
-start sculpting another skull for 15 minutes, this time keeping in mind what you learned from the first sculpting exercise. repeat this as many times as possible.
-if you haven't learned anything from your first few sculpts, then keep doing 15 minute exercises until you do. focus on what you're doing wrong/mistakes you're repeatedly making with every sculpt and try to avoid them when repeating the exercise.

Last edited by sonn : 09-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
BojanStankovski
Veteran
portfolio
Bojan Stankovski
Macedonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonn
start sculpting...

-sculpt a skull out of a sphere in 15 minutes. Use image reference.
-once 15 minutes is up, stop and write down any mistakes you have made/lessons you learned.(example: "i wasted too much time on one section of the skull", or "I focused on the details when I should've spend more time on the general shape of the skull", or "jaw should be smaller", etc) ...don't worry if you don't get much sculpting done in a 15 minute time span.
-start sculpting another skull for 15 minutes, this time keeping in mind what you learned from the first sculpting exercise. repeat this as many times as possible.
-if you haven't learned anything from your first few sculpts, then keep doing 15 minute exercises until you do. focus on what you're doing wrong/mistakes you're repeatedly making with every sculpt and try to avoid them when repeating the exercise.

I was doing exact like you say, but to be honest, i was no idea on what i put most of the time while i was sculpting, all i was to try is to get the big shapes, oh yea, the only problem i got was, the nose, and make it good around the nose and eye area.

I was doing with Dynamesh, should i use that or sphere then dynamesh?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Well there is nothing much we can say that will help you sculpt that skull. Remember that anything you do you will fail, initially. It is from those failures that you will learn. Start sculpting that skull and after you did it 10-20 times you will notice how much better you get at it. Practice makes perfect, that's one rule you have to abide by.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

If you can get your hands on a cast of skull, it'll make your life a lot easier. Understanding what's going on with the form is a whole lot easier if you can hold it in your hand. You can get decent skull casts on Amazon for twenty dollars or so.

Mostly, though, it's a matter of practice. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're pretty new to using ZBrush. Trying to learn both the basics of sculpting and anatomy at the same time might be trying to do too much at once: try practicing making simpler forms until you feel pretty comfortable creating whatever form you want in ZBrush, then start in on the anatomy.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
BojanStankovski
Veteran
portfolio
Bojan Stankovski
Macedonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
If you can get your hands on a cast of skull, it'll make your life a lot easier. Understanding what's going on with the form is a whole lot easier if you can hold it in your hand. You can get decent skull casts on Amazon for twenty dollars or so.

Mostly, though, it's a matter of practice. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're pretty new to using ZBrush. Trying to learn both the basics of sculpting and anatomy at the same time might be trying to do too much at once: try practicing making simpler forms until you feel pretty comfortable creating whatever form you want in ZBrush, then start in on the anatomy.

Hey Man, thanks for the advice. You are 101% right, i don't know Zbrush and anatomy, i thought that doing both at the same time, it will be easy and faster. But i was damn wrong.

What kind of forms i can practice to get good in Zbrush, so i can start learn anatomy?

I was thinking of Scott Eaton, course, many people told me it's awesome, until then i will learn Zbrush.

I got from ZbrushWorkshop intro to Zbrush 4r2. Ryan goes really awesome in his teaching. But, he do some advanced stuff, that i have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by BojanStankovski : 09-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

You can't make a believable skull because you don't know how to make it. To know how to make it, you must learn anatomy. Learning anatomy means you should know every bulb, line and concavity on a skull, its name and function. And yet drawing like 5-10 skulls from different angles with a good teacher assistance. Also you should know derivations of form, male and female, and so on. It's quite involved. Realistically anatomy course takes something like 4 months of learning full-time. Yet you will use references anyway all the time after it.
Still, it doesn't mean you will become a good character modeler with this knowledge. It's just the first step. Then learning how real humans actually look by taking drawing classes of naked posing. You should learn architectonics of form at that stage, which means artistic simplification, basically, sculpture.

Last edited by mister3d : 09-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
What kind of forms i can practice to get good in Zbrush, so i can start learn anatomy?

I'd start by just messing around with the brushes. Subdivide a sphere a couple times and just push it and pull it around; see what you can do without trying to create anything in particular. Then try to recreate various organic objects you see around you (preferably, things you can see directly or with a mirror, not from photos); plants, faces, hands, rocks, things like that. Try and be as accurate as you can, but at this point, don't get too stressed if it doesn't look super close to your reference: that'll come with time, but right now the idea is to figure out how to create the general forms. Practice that for a couple hundred hours, until you feel like you're capable of reproducing what's in front of you pretty accurately. Then you can start seriously studying anatomy.

Also, while you're studying anatomy, sculpting a skull is a good exercise, but you're not gonna get as much out of it if you're not also carefully observing real people and seeing how variations in the skull affect their outer features. Half of anatomy is learning how real people differ (and how they don't differ) from what's in anatomy books. If you can, I strongly recomend finding a local life group, and bringing a laptop and tablet to sculpt on.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

ZBrush is something you need to just keep at and things will fall into place. Find some project tutorial videos and follow them, they are a great way to improve. A months subscription to Digital Tutors or similar wouldn't be a waste of money either, excellent value IMHO.
Personally I find ZSpheres a great way to rough out general shapes before sculpting. ZSpheres functionality is somewhat left in the shade by the new Dynamesh, but for learning and basic building blocks approach ZSpheres is hard to beat.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:
Because i am new at this, i want to see how to sculpt a skull in Zbrush. then i will go for muscles and so on.

Do follow the tutorials. They're there to teach you the "skill". Once you have the skill, you can sculpt anything you want.

Don't try to look only for skull tutorials. It doesn't work that way.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
BojanStankovski
Veteran
portfolio
Bojan Stankovski
Macedonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Do follow the tutorials. They're there to teach you the "skill". Once you have the skill, you can sculpt anything you want.

Don't try to look only for skull tutorials. It doesn't work that way.

What do you mean? Well, there are so good tutorials, but they make full characters, is not problem to follow tutorial. But how to learn human anatomy properly? I was told to begin from skeleton, and first to try to sculpt the skull.

Thread Closed share thread