Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Bigwil357
PRO
portfolio
WIll
washington , USA

Modo UV issues

Hello. I have an issue with my modo UV's/ When i try to import into Mari, i keep on getting error messages about negative UV's. I am not sure why this is. Also when i select these certain polygons, in the UV space, and do a alt+2 to switch to edges, i get this odd result. I even tried atlas mapping these polygons only, and this still happened. I guess this is the problem, but i don't have a clue what this is or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/...s/apacheuv4.jpg

Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Bigwil357
PRO
portfolio
WIll
washington , USA

I didnt realize what modo was doing, because i didnt check the obj file while it was IN Modo. I was just exporting it out, and trying to open it in Mari, thinking it word work. When I export FBX into Maya, I dont experience any problems. I assumed OBJ would be the same, but its not. ( at least for me). Here is what happens.

When I am in Modo, and when the file is . lxo, or Fbx, all of the different geometry layers are saved, and all of the UV's are saved along with them. When I export .Obj, all of the geometry is put all on one layer (mesh), and all of the UV's are consolidated into one. This is what made it impossible to paint in Mari.

So my question is; How do I save my geometry in obj, and preserve all of my geometry layers, and UV's?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

I've only worked on one item at a time and exported as OBJ from modo because of that problem. I don't remember if I tried hiding some meshes while I exported as OBJ to isolate various parts of my model.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Bigwil357
PRO
portfolio
WIll
washington , USA

I know that importing one object at a time is the only way to work, but it just seems like that would present more problems, when it comes to consistent painting of the model. For example; I have a helicopter model. It has about 12 layers, so thats 12, UV maps. If i paint the fuselage a certian way, i would like my engine, and landing gear parts, to be painted similarly. If I am importing one object at a time, scratches, wear and tear, decals, etc...would all be off. If i need for something to go across multiple UV's, how can I do it? There has to be a way to get the whole thing in there. I think that the Foundry should look into this.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

I'll separate parts of a model based on what their material is. In general, if the outside of a spaceship will have the same material, I'll model the outside as one piece and UV map the thing. Then I'll start painting it. I'll use procedural scratches and bake them if I need them to cross objects and still have them line up.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Bigwil357
PRO
portfolio
WIll
washington , USA

I understand what you are saying. But it sounds like your working with an 4/8k map. Im working with multiple 2k maps. It would be great if I was working that way, but im not. Im curious what program made the geometry that is featured in their tutorials. Why is Modo so different?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

I don't know. I haven't seen their tutorial. I can never find what I'm looking for when it comes to modo's stange helpless guide. Even when Luxology printed their own book for modo, it was hard to follow and very dry reading.

I try to look for YouTube videos now on most things.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Bigwil357
PRO
portfolio
WIll
washington , USA

Yeah.....ive been trying for the past month. No luck. Ive started to give up on using Mari because of it. It really sucks, because ive been watching a few tutorials, and it seems like a really awesome tool. It seems like a perfect world for painting in 3D. I guess i will have to wait for a while, until they accept other file formats, or until Modo changes something. But until then, Ill have to stick to Modo painting. Dont get me wrong...it isnt bad, but after being exposed to Mari, it just seems , a little basic.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread