luispages
Banned

portfolio
Luis Pages
CEO
VFX Learning
France

Fuel VFX goes into administration

"One of Australia’s most respected independent visual effects houses has gone into administration. Staff of Fuel VFX – which employs around 100 people – were given the news yesterday.

http://mumbrella.com.au/fuel-vfx-go...stration-112240

Very sad news...

Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Yeah sad news indeed but not really surprising with studios screwing over vfx vendors in the big race to the bottom.

b

Last edited by mr Bob : 08-28-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Mic_Ma
lightfooted rambling-man

Murkus
Tiddelduddledee
Vatican City State (Holy See)

Damn.

Does anybody make money in this business anymore? It's not as if they were producing bad work or lowkey fx.

Soon it'll only be weta and ilm and they can ask whatever they want.

Last edited by Mic_Ma : 08-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

This really has been going on for decades. Back when I started, Boss Films and Foundation Imaging along with ILM were the holy grails for wanting 3d and vfx talent. Boss and Foundation disappeared. When Foundation went bust, Rainbow Studios out of Arizona took over their projects, then they went bust. SquareSoft (in Hawaii) was a hotspot too. Most collapsed under projects that cost more than they were worth or that clients were willing to pay. I remember some company working with Lightwave on the Dune remake for the Science Channel and going bust before finishing the series. Some poor studio jumped on that work and I believe it killed them off too.

Its almost like the jobs and work either blows out individuals or kills entire companies. Its like the industry is driving for high tech labor for low pay. Production work will always been in danger of these trends. Especially when the technology gets so inexpensive. It was glorious back in the day getting high salaries and working on $50k SGI workstations with $50k software packages. The competition was really sparse. Just now breaking into this field has to really suck for the newcomers (maybe they should be the late comers). People keep mentioning using open source amd free software. When that happens, it will truely kill off the industry in countries like the US and UK. I saw the same thing with graphic designers back in the early nineties (thats when I migrated to 3d). The only sectors that will likely thrive will be DOD, engineering and scientific communities.

I see quite a few artists (in the US) moving back to the east coast or even mid-west where stress and difficulty are less and the pay ratio to cost of living is better, not to mention the quality of life. There's no glory or super high profile work, but the job security seems a bit more stable and business managers seem a bit more conservative. 50-60 hour work weeks are the exception not the norm.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 08-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Well if we just check the last movie that fuel has work on and if we check the total gross without taking into account the DVD release we have:

Prometheus : $341,097,836
Avengers : $1,491,800,446
MI-4 : $694,713,380
Captain America : $368,608,363
Thor : $449,326,618

Well it looks that a VFX providers like Fuel hasn't seen so much part of that money, and i guess that the vfx team folks were credited on the last part of the credits of each of those film far behind the catering services. I also guess that a part of the team wasn't on the credits at all ... even if they were ask to do overtime to push the enveloppe on those amazing projects ...

Really sad news i really love the work of fuel, especially on Prometheus ... But after all Visual Effects team are not that important , and they work for the fun ...

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Genesis
spdsk8r
Animator

Sad day. I wish all those working at Fuel the best.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

That film had me jumping on my seat because of incredible effects.
So unfair to artists who worked on it. I wish them best.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d
I remember some company working with Lightwave on the Dune remake for the Science Channel and going bust before finishing the series. Some poor studio jumped on that work and I believe it killed them off too.

You may be thinking about Netter Digital. I believe they were technically in bankruptcy when they started those shots. They kept a very minimal crew there to get the shots done.
Because I was the only tech guy in the building when they announced it I got to keep my job for a few more weeks. I believe they did finish all the shots they were assigned though.
Area 51 also had several shots for Dune also. Area 51 still has a web page up, not sure how well they are doing though.
I think Flat earth VFX was already dead by that time.

Overall I think the list of dead companies would be a lot longer then the list of live ones at this point.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
cobra6
Expert

portfolio
Joep Peters
Modelling & Texture Artist
United Kingdom

Sad news indeed. It seems to be a relatively quiet patch for large VFX project anyway at the moment.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
BlackFiSH

portfolio
Kite Blonk
Westeros, USA

As horrible as things are getting this is a funny part of the cycle...

People can see society failing all around them but when you point out any type of depravity they defend it.

Artists are among the first to fall for the depravity and speed it along...subsequently they start to wake up first also... we are still a bit away from that point though lol

Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
CaptainObvious
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Simon Lundberg
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFiSH

People can see society failing all around them but when you point out any type of depravity they defend it.

Artists are among the first to fall for the depravity and speed it along...subsequently they start to wake up first also... we are still a bit away from that point though lol

"Depravity"? We're not talking about the sacking of Rome here. Companies sometimes go bust. Other, more competitive, companies will take their business. That's how it works. That's how progress works, and even though it does kind of suck sometimes it does generally lead to better things in the future.

I am of course sorry for the people who lost their job and all that, but all this talk of doom and gloom isn't true, and it's certainly not very helpful.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

Sorry but I have no idea what all that even means or how it has any bearing on this thread.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
BlackFiSH

portfolio
Kite Blonk
Westeros, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
"Depravity"? We're not talking about the sacking of Rome here. Companies sometimes go bust. Other, more competitive, companies will take their business. That's how it works. That's how progress works, and even though it does kind of suck sometimes it does generally lead to better things in the future.

I am of course sorry for the people who lost their job and all that, but all this talk of doom and gloom isn't true, and it's certainly not very helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline

Decline is a change over time from previously efficient to inefficient organizational functioning, from previously rational to non-rational organizational and individual decision-making, from previously law-abiding to law violating organizational and individual behavior, from previously virtuous to iniquitous individual moral behavior. Note: The word decline should not be confused with the word obsolete. Decline refers to the degenerating of something whereas obsolete refers to the outdating of something or that it is no longer in use. It is the process of declining, a gradual sinking and wasting away.

Social decline or moral decline is typically characterised as reduced adherence to cultural or social norms or values and widespread lapses in ethical behavior.

Entities and organizations may enter a state of decline if they fail to respond effectively to changes, because they :

• Don't know about it : inability to recognize change in the organizational environment
  • Can't : insufficient resources to respond to change in the organizational environment
  • Don't want to : refusal to respond to change in the organizational environment because organizational leaders benefit from organizational decline
__________________________________________________ _________

Things aren't bad enough for the average person to look beyond their area if interest but for those who study this branch of Systems Science the process of decline is in it's last part of Autumn.

Winter will be in full swing as a rude awakening in less then a year.

I look forward to seeing how art evolves in this period as it will offer first hand information as opposed to trying to gather the information from history.

Not to imply that I am happy at all. Lemons, lemonade and all...

Last edited by BlackFiSH : 08-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Mic_Ma
lightfooted rambling-man

Murkus
Tiddelduddledee
Vatican City State (Holy See)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
Companies sometimes go bust. Other, more competitive, companies will take their business. That's how it works. That's how progress works, and even though it does kind of suck sometimes it does generally lead to better things in the future.

So, it is progress that one of the finest small shops closes, even though they worked on the biggest most lucrative of films? This is not the only one. It's a race to the bottom. There are a few more studios barely hanging on to dear life and some of them very large ones, seemingly successful ones. Despite all the tax breaks, the low wages amongst some of the artists, the nonexistant job security, the massive outsourcing to countries where labour is cheap, and dubious industry practices, losses are still being made on vfx for major, successful, vfx-driven movies.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Daniel-B
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Broadway
Sr. Visual Effects Artist
Raytheon
Huntsville, USA

Quote:
Things aren't bad enough for the average person to look beyond their area if interest...

Truth. The general population's willful ignorance astounds me. Then when something happens, like the financial collapse in 2008, everyone is like "How did this happen?" Pfff.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Thread Closed share thread