Viewport navigation questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Viewport navigation questions

Hello,

I loaded the maya 2011 preset for navigation, but there are still some differences. Firstly, in maya I translate my camera back and forward with alt+lower pen button (or right mouse button) but in vue this gives me a zoom instead which makes it useless for navigating. I tried to assign alt+rmb to the "move camera back/forth" hotkey, which I assume is the function Im looking for but then nothing happens at all in the viewport, either with mouse nor pen. Am I missing something? Has anyone tried to setup vue like maya?

Also, I changed alt+lmb from "rotate camera" to "orbit" to get it like in maya, and it works, but it seems like its always rotating around world center. In maya I could press "F" to get it to rotate around the selected objects. I found that vue has a "frame selected"-function which seems to mimic the "F" functionality, but it only works in the ortographic views. Is there a way to get this working in the perspective view?

Thanks.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
I have also tried to use Alt RMB (Opt RMB on OS X) to move the camera backwards and forwards to no avail, both on Mac OS X and just recently on Windows 7. I think that this needs reporting as a bug. In the reference documentation section on Framing (page 186) the keyboard shortcuts for moving the camera back/forth are Page Up and Page Down, so you could try that instead. Note that this doesn't work on OS X if you have a compact keyboard, as Vue doesn't support the standard OS X substitutions for these keys:
Page Up: Opt Up Cursor
Page Down: Opt Down Cursor
e-on Software have told me that these will be supported in an update.

Alternatively as a workaround to move the camera backwards and forwards in perspective view you could use the "Move camera back/forth" buttons in the "Camera Control Centre".

When I set Vue up I did exactly the same thing as you and assign Triggers > Orbit to the LMB to make it consistent with other 3D apps (except Houdini where it would be Space LMB). The Orbit behaviour is to rotate around the currently selected object in the world browser.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Ok, thanks. The page down/up sounds like it will work until it gets fixed

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread