Moving A Camera

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2002   #1
Moving A Camera

Hi

I finished this model and now I want to move the camera around the bowl at the same angle and output a movie file

Can anyone please help me and tel me how to do this

http://www.mgfx.net/readtutorial.php?article_id=1009

This is my first ever attempt at any 3D program
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glassbowl_fiklnmklnkln.jpg (40.2 KB, 156 views)

Old 06 June 2002   #2
ok then, here goes. Add a null in your scene (first tab, add, objects, null). Now, the null will be placed by default at 0,0,0 the origin.

Select your camera and hit "m". This will bring up the motion panel. On "Parent" make the drop down list and select "null".

Now, whatever motion "null" performs, the camera will do as well.

So, again select null, and move the time slider to whatever you want (60 frames would do. If you want more frames, just enter a bigger number on the right, below the time slider, that by default sais "60".)

Once you have moved your time slider, hit "y" or select rotate, to rotate your null. Enter a value of "360" in the "H" rotation value, and hit enter, until the add keyframe is presented. Press ok. And you're done!!

Because the camera is parented to the null it will rotate with it. But since you have already moved and rotated your camera, it will rotate with respect to the null.

Go into the rendering panel and select your video format, filename, and everything, and then hit "F10" to begin your rendering!!

Old 06 June 2002   #3
Wow ... thanks allot, thats awesome

Could you give me some advice on speading up the render. I have not rendered many times but I figured out that the bigger the photo or movie in resolution the more segments and the more segments the longer it takes ..... 800 x 600 has 3 segments and 640 x 480 has 2 segments if I recall correctly

How can I make the ender faster

With respect to format for movies I have Divx, quicktime, AVI .... which one gives the best quality / time ratio

AVI is Mpeg 1 in the codec choices , correct

I have an ATI 8500 and a P 3 1 GHZ

I also have an AMD 1700 but LW is not installed there

Last edited by Kaiser_Sose : 06 June 2002 at 11:20 AM.

Old 06 June 2002   #4
Camera / Properties / Segment memory limit

Set it to something between 20 & 50 MB for one segment rendering...

TGA sequence is the best, but you'll have to import it in a copmposition software such as After Effects.
It's always better to render your anims in pictures sequence because :
-If LW crashes you don't loose what's already rendered.
-Quality (no compress)

If you still want to render in anim format, then choose AVI uncompressed or Quicktime uncompressed.
But uncompressed format are heavier and then harder to play realtime for your computer.

And install LW on your AMD, you'll feel the difference

Old 06 June 2002   #5
np Kaiser_Sose. Happy to be of service. About the speed, well, you really need to render at a 800 by 600 resolution? And if you do, "medium" Antialising works great, above that is a bit too much for the particular render.

And, watch your polygon count. This model would require no more than 5000 polygons (i think). If you have a lot more than that, perhaps you have too much.

Old 06 June 2002   #6
I setup amovie to go from frame 0 to 60. I encoded it with the AVI codec. When I came back the encoding information window was at frame 34 and it only had the option to abort. There was also a graphic which I could save as an jpeg as usual

Do you know why the encoding did not go all the way through and stoped at frame 34 ... there was no error message

http://rancid.apk.net/~kaiser_sose/bowl_rotate.lws

Last edited by Kaiser_Sose : 06 June 2002 at 09:49 PM.

Old 06 June 2002   #7
Originally posted by Facial Deluxe
Camera / Properties / Segment memory limit

TGA sequence is the best, but you'll have to import it in a copmposition software such as After Effects.
-Quality (no compress)

Where can I find these options ... I looked under rendering options and I see nothing about picture sequence

I have Premeire ... hopefully that will do

How can I find out how many polygons it has

Old 06 June 2002   #8
click on the camera button at the bottom of the screen, then click on the properties button next to it. you'll find the segment memory limit option under there. you can find out how many polys the object has by either looking under the surface editor or by clicking on the object button and then under properties. hope that helps...

Old 06 June 2002   #9
To render a sequence, go to your Render Options panel, click on the Output Files tab, and check the Save RGB box. Then give a file name, type, and destination. You'll get a series of images each with an advancing number at the end. You'll need to import these into Premier as an uncompressed image sequence or use a conversion tool such as Cleaner or Virtual Dub to assemble the sequence into an actual movie file.

Steve

www.stevewarner.com

Old 06 June 2002   #10
Originally posted by Kamiwami
click on the camera button at the bottom of the screen, then click on the properties button next to it. you'll find the segment memory limit option under there.

Yes, ... that I was able to find

-Quality (no compress)

this I can not

Old 06 June 2002   #11
Originally posted by Steve Warner
To render a sequence, go to your Render Options panel, click on the Output Files tab, and check the Save RGB box. Then give a file name, type, and destination. You'll get a series of images each with an advancing number at the end. You'll need to import these into Premier as an uncompressed image sequence or use a conversion tool such as Cleaner or Virtual Dub to assemble the sequence into an actual movie file.

Steve

Ok ... I was actually looking for an option for sequence mode

Old 06 June 2002   #12
Whats faster and better ..... to output image sequece or an AVI, Quicktime

I just rendered the first frame only to test and it took 8 minutes

Is there any way to speed up renders with OpenGL

Is there a third party rendering program fro LW

Old 06 June 2002   #13
for this animation you might just want to use image sizes of 640x480, and use Low antialiasing. it's not worth the time to use more.

and usually for rendering a scene, in Rendering Options turn off Show Render In Progress, and set Render Display to none. things go just a bit faster. it's pointless anyway since you normally won't be sitting and watching it render every frame.

btw, it did not stop at frame 34. it was still rendering. i'm assuming you hit Render Scene (F10). during that rendering process, the Render Status window (with the Abort button, which is always present) automatically disappears when the sequence of renders is complete.

Old 06 June 2002   #14
LyonHaert had good suggestions for speeding up your render, but there's no time difference between using an image sequence and creating an AVI or Quicktime. Lightwave still has to render the scene frame by frame. When the render is finished, it will either be written as a sequence of still images or compiled into a movie file. But that process should be about the same timewise.

Steve

www.stevewarner.com

Old 01 January 2006   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread