Autodesk Prices going up in October?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Autodesk Prices going up in October?

Quote:
"Make the move to the latest release of Autodesk® software before October 17, 2012 to benefit from a wide range of new features and enhancements, and save up to 15%. Price changes are coming.

Upgrade now to help protect your software investment, and help maximize your return with the many benefits offered through Autodesk® Subscription and Autodesk® 360 cloud based services. Autodesk currently anticipates changes to its upgrade options next year, so take advantage of existing upgrade pricing and paths today to move to the current release – and you could additionally save up to 15% off Suggested Retail Price (SRP)* on selected upgrades when you act before October 17, 2012.

"
http://www.autodesk.com/temp/edm/ed...short_apac.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2012
Is this in addition to the last price increase?

08 August 2012
It might not be a price increase, but rather a change in how software is bundled, or making subscriptions mandatory, or something of the like.

08 August 2012
Ugh, nothing would surprise me anymore.

08 August 2012
Autodesk. Stop it.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by autodesk:
Upgrade now to help protect your software investment

Or to put it another way:

"Buy into our scheme now and we will recover any discount once you are tied into our subscription program. Of course we reserve the right to increase the annal subscription at our discretion"

Maybe im being cyclical, but recent events are not exactly filling me with confidence.

Flickr

MDI Digital

Last edited by mushroomgod : 08 August 2012 at 03:01 PM.

08 August 2012
It specifically mentions that "Autodesk currently anticipates changes to its upgrade options next year" then mentions that you can save up to 15% if you upgrade now.

So its reasonable to assume they are going to increase upgrade prices by15%?

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Decency : 08 August 2012 at 03:28 PM.

08 August 2012
I would have thought that in a recession prices would drop instead. Also with the apparent explosion in popularity and use of MAX since Avatar (all the colleges were in a rush to teach it and buy licences), wouldnt we be forgiven for assuming prices would fall? I mean usually when products get popular the prices drop, and after all it costs no more to produce software for download no matter how many people buy it.
Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistic and not seeing a bigger picture?

08 August 2012
Wow, and here I was hoping they would eventually drop their prices or somehow make software more accessible to freelancers and small teams. I guess it's about time to give Blender a serious try and save myself several thousand dollars.

08 August 2012
There are plenty of viable alternatives to the AD Machine; it appears they are pushing even harder for artists to explore those venues.

08 August 2012
Slashing features and raising prices. Just what we were asking for.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Slashing features and raising prices. Just what we were asking for.

Yeah, its especially interesting reading this while following the Pflow kerfluffle in the Max section.

08 August 2012
Quote: use of MAX since Avatar

why would Avatar increase Max usage? They used Maya and a bunch of custom in-house stuff for Avatar.

In other news, Houdini's price just went down to $4500.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by cgbeige: why would Avatar increase Max usage? They used Maya and a bunch of custom in-house stuff for Avatar.

In other news, Houdini's price just went down to $4500.

That was my question as well. I also don't see any logic in them lowering prices because we are "in a recession." Especially from a supply and demand point of view. The industry is growing a lot which means you can inch your prices up and take advantage of the boom. It's not like 3D software is a staple like bread or water, which have only been increasing. This software is a professional item. Some would say a "luxury" item, at these prices.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Dillster: I mean usually when products get popular the prices drop, and after all it costs no more to produce software for download no matter how many people buy it.

Prices go up. Economics 101.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Thread Closed share thread