Animation preview (transition effect, shaded render)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2003   #1
Animation preview (transition effect, shaded render)

Everybody please spend some time and have a look:

http://dickma.homeip.net:8080/dickma/comp2.zip

It's a 11.3 mpeg 4 format that requires Quicktime.

I would like to have some feedback.

Thankyou.

Old 11 November 2003   #2
Looks nice, although a bit jerky (most possibly because of the low bitrate).

I don't have any suggestions or critics

Old 11 November 2003   #3
just nice? anymore?

Old 11 November 2003   #4
technically, the animation is pretty floaty. Looks very cg. And the feet slip. And the character is stiff.

I'm not sure what your intention with this piece is, I feel the camera lingering on things like opening and closing the door is fairly uniteresting. You could make your life easier and the piece more interesting (imo) by varying cuts, close-ups of the door gate, the bike, etc.

drip.de

Old 11 November 2003   #5
As you see that, it is an animation scene transitions from one place to another so...I think I've achieve my goal (Do you think so?)

It is the middle part of my animation so the Varying cuts, and close-ups will make at the beginning and at the end of the animation. (Yes, I found some interesting angles during making this but may be I don't know which is the good timing to insert that sort of thing.)

And May be I need someone to teach me about walk-cycle and any animation related.(Somebody here! HELP!)

Last edited by dickma : 11 November 2003 at 04:02 PM.

Old 11 November 2003   #6
I'd have to second most of what's been stated already. The transition looks interesting but the video itself plays back rather choppy and it's difficult to judge the animation. Maybe try divx next time.

Old 11 November 2003   #7
because it is a direct After Effects output which not support the Divx format...

Sorry about this. I am not familiar with codecs. have set the highest bit rate of mpeg 4 but still choppy.

Old 11 November 2003   #8
Dick Ma, sorry - my critique was biased towards the negative. I also find the transition and stylistic cool.
I feel that those would also benefit from more interesting camera work, though.

drip.de

Old 11 November 2003   #9
Well, I should have mort critics to improve myself....Thanks dobermunk and chewey

Old 11 November 2003   #10
You can ouput divx coded videos just fine in After FX. Just install the divx codec onto your machine. If you're using a mac then I'm not certain what your options are.

Old 11 November 2003   #11
Quote: Originally posted by Chewey
You can ouput divx coded videos just fine in After FX. Just install the divx codec onto your machine. If you're using a mac then I'm not certain what your options are.

In that case, he has to install DivX 5.1 for Mac
http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

Old 11 November 2003   #12
I don't know why there is no export Divx in AVI option in After Effects.....

I've install it....

Old 11 November 2003   #13
except codecs... any other critics?

Old 11 November 2003   #14
I thought the transition from the building to the outside was real cool!

Old 11 November 2003   #15
Very good ambient, nice color, warm, lighting is good also.

As everybody pointed, animation is too stiff, everything is at same speed and lack of rythm.
If you are your own director and animator, perhaps you should think a bit different as now.
Animation is one thing, one part in the movie, but it's not the only purpose. Purpose is, IMHO, to give a feeling to the spectator.
Even if you are not a "god animator", I think with what you have there actually, you can achieve a pretty decent movie.
Camera is your friend ! Atm, the camera keeps always the same distance. Try varying the shot. Doing one sequence shot is, IMHO, an error. Editing, simle cuts, would help you to express better. Do some closes ups, close ups on hand when closing the door or grabing the bike. The flying birds plan is interesting, as you did, could be good also to have a camera pov from under, looking up to the sky with a "shining" whyty sky surrounding the birds (classical poetic effect in mangas).
Also, your set is magnificient, lots of details, you could offer yourself to let the camea stands on some details, to increase the ambient emotion (without beeing to descriptive of course).

In fact, what you've done reminds me a lot of "Lain" manga, which you might already know. Perhaps should you study this manga in an editing / ambient pov.

Good job, keep it up !

Thread Closed share thread