Two or more scale inputs into one object.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Two or more scale inputs into one object.

Hi Folks,
I have a map set up so that when I drag a red line over it, different (objects) areas of the map disapear as the line drives the scale x atribute from 1 to 0 in the form of a driven key. I want another independent line set up so that when I drag it over the map it drives the scale attribute back from 0 to 1. Here's the thing, I can't add another input into the scale x attribute as it allready has an incoming connection. I have set up the first line to work using a driven key, there are 400 of these areas, all with their own driven keys. My graph editor shows 400 seperate curves going 1 to 0 on the up axis and a Red1.translateY along the bottom. In the Hypergraph there is a driven node and a locator (translate z) inbetween the red line and each map area. These two red lines go up and down, I would like to put two more lines from left to right so that with just the four lines I can choose to show any area of the map.
Any help much appreciated
Oliver
Oliver

07 July 2012
I can't say I completely understand your description of what you'e doing and how, but I think it sounds like you'll need to add a utility node (like plusMinusAverage) and then connect your line outputs and scale inputs into this utility instead of directly into each other...

07 July 2012
Thanks Nathan

Yea that sounds good. To clarify what I'm trying to do, I'm making a map for a pinball type machine to have various planes either there or not controled by the quick movement of four red lines. So far I have one red line that when dragged down, displays one part of the map at a time, when it reaches the bottom the whole map is visible. Now I want another line that I can drag down which hides the planes one by one again. I think I had a solution when I started the long slog but didn't write it down. Having set all these driven keys, I like the scaleing because it creates a nice effect if I change the graphs in the editor, and maybe copy and paste the curves if need be for more lines. The plus minus average node you describe sounds right only I think it affects textures and not objects. Is there a 'and' 'nor' 'not' type gate for objects in maya?

07 July 2012
utility nodes affect pretty much any (compatible) attribute you plug into them irregardless of the type of node it comes from. Any two scalar numerical attributes that can be added together, subtracted or averaged can be connected to a plusMinusAverage node.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread