OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

I'm pretty surprised no one is talking about this new console.
It has the potential to be a pretty big deal, especially since it's using new unproven marketing strategies (hackable, free games, etc...), it's very cheap for the hardware and many other factors that could prove to be a very creative and lucrative incentive for developers.

So far it has tripled its kickstarter goal in a couple of days. Almost at $3,000,000 right now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-game-console

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Yesterday it was at 1 million. Pretty impressive.

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Wowsers, no kidding! 1.6 million around 10pm. That is gathering major steam.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 07 July 2012   #4
If you develop using Unity then you have the export to android functionality. I say this is a brilliant kick-starter project and is exactly what Microsoft and Nintendo should have done a while ago.
Congrats to all involved!

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Seems really interesting. I´m thinking of backing it up.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Interesting article about Ouya:
The reality of the OUYA console doesn’t match the hype: why you should be skeptical

I was really exited when I heard about the console. But I think the article is on to something; They're selling a dream, not a solution. I hope the Ouya-team will address these concerns and questions. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
I don't know, it seems like a phantom console 2.0 or have we all forgotten about that already?

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Well as of right now it has over $4 million backing up production, and roll out etcetera - So I think it's safe to assume that there will be something tangible at the end of this, plus it still has 25 days to go until the end of the funding campaign. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go far beyond $5 million+

On-topic: I think this is great, a small, but moderately powerful console with which many indie developers can get on board with.

I was contemplating a while back something similar with the raspberry Pi board, of course it'd be vastly underpowered compared to this machine, but I think it shows the great potential that will come (and already has in a lot of ways) with ARM based chips, and Linux / Android based operating systems.

I do think I'll buy one, or two - One with Android for casual gaming / game development, and one with Ubuntu TV

Old 07 July 2012   #9
If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't....

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...u-should-be-ske

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Last edited by Hooch : 07 July 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Originally Posted by archerx: I don't know, it seems like a phantom console 2.0 or have we all forgotten about that already?

How is it even remotely like the Phantom? Other than downloading games to it of course, which you also do on xbox or PS3. If anything this is more like Google TV with a controller included.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Old 07 July 2012   #11
There seems to be a bit of controversy regarding its Kickstarter funding eligibility/status..blah blah blah or something

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/16/3162049/ouya-developer-to-look-for-funding-outside-of-kickstarter

Cheers

Old 07 July 2012   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread