Modeler / Texturer Portfolio and Reel Crits

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Modeler / Texturer Portfolio and Reel Crits

Hello,

I'm hoping to break into the industry and I want the work that I show to be as strong as possible. Please take a look at my work and tell me if there is anything I should add, remove, or alter. I want to get into games, or 'serious games' or simulators.

Here's my reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uol7...player_embedded

And here's a link to my portfolio:
http://theo3d.blogspot.ca

I will greatly appreciate any and all feedback! Thank you.

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Hey hey. Cool works. Heres my crits:

1- I don´t think you should show the shot inside the helicopters cockpit. Doesn´t ad anything special to the reel.

2- The shot of the helicopter taking off is too long. You´re showing modeling and texturing skills not animation.

3- While showing the helicopter model, do it slower and in a bigger view. You look more concern on showing off eye candy visuals than actually modeling or texturing skills. Its okay to make it different, the reel, but I think it should show stuff calmly than going from one place to another really fast.

4- The riffle shot. When I was seeing it I thought you were going to show the human character... Again to long just to show the texturing of the gun. You actually have an articulated tank textured and modeled, in your portfolio so I think you should replace the gun with it.

5- The car. The shot again is too long. You should show a little bit of the action not the hole scene.

6- End credits should be about you and your job not about the hole team.

7- Keep the reel short. Every company has its preferences about it but make it 1 min or 2 mins long.

Sorry if I sounded too harsh.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Much appreciated

No, not too harsh at all. I'm very grateful for the feedback. I really wanted to show these things as functioning in the game because a lot of time went into getting them to that point. In retrospect maybe that was a bit overboard.

I did do a lot of work on the interior at it seems like it's very difficult to show it off. Maybe I can show some renders in my portfolio. I did a lot of research and but a lot of passion into that project and so it has all the buttons and doodads in there and all the labels.

Again, excellent feedback and I'll definitely be re-cutting the reel. Thank you.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
I'm not sure if my original reply is still pending or it got lost but I wanted to thank you kindly for your critique. I found your input very fair and useful, and not too harsh at all. Thank you!

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Glad to know. Will be waiting for more of your stuff ^^

Cheers

Old 07 July 2012   #6
It's good to show that you can get your model into a game engine, but you do want to make sure that your assets are always the center of attention. That's not the case right now.

Also, you probably want to have some non-mechanical assets in your reel. There are some jobs where you'll model nothing but hardware, but at most studios environment artists need to be equally comfortable modeling rocks and trees.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread