strange rendering times issue between single and range

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
strange rendering times issue between single and range

I am rendering a scene conatining a frost object with lots of vertices (~20 milliion) created by from large (3GB/ frame) Realflow BIN files.

If I render a frame (any frame) in the Max viewport at full resolution it takes 10mins to render.
Rendering that exact same frame in Range mode (let's say frame 105), frame 105 takes several hours to render.

I can try this with any frame in my sequence...on different computers.

I am using Vray2.3

So where's the difference? How can that be? I am going slightly nuts on the matter.

06 June 2012
I've seen similar behaviors when using large particle systems. Whe you specify a range, Max re-process all the particles from frame 0.

if teh renderer doesn't start for a long time (you don;t see teh final gather pass within a few seconds), that might be the reason.

Rob

07 July 2012
Ok, good to know.

In fact, my problem was due to a wrong setting in Vray's Dynamic memory limit. It is set to 400MB by default, which is far too small for heavy geometry. As a rule of thumb, it should better be set to half of the amount of RAM in the computer. This really accelerates things.

Still, it is strange this value is kind of overridden when rendering in Max' Single mode, but works when rendering in differnent modes.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread