mograph random placement question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
mograph random placement question

Maybe this is easy but I can't figure it out. I have a wall of wooden planks. These planks are 4", 6" & 8" wide. (all the same length) I want to use mograph to randomly "stack" these planks side by side at their appropriate widths. So a 4" plank, then an 8", then a 6", etc, etc. I can't figure out how to make the proper spacing? Problem I'm having is I can only have these spaced at a defined width leaving unwanted gaps. Is there an easy solution of is this beyond mograph?

I also want to use like 4 versions (different textures) of each sized plank so they can have a randomized look of the wood texture.

thanks

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Mograph: see attached
Low tech: copy/paste

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Last edited by vid2k2 : 06 June 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Depending on how closeup the shot is I would also consider adding a Random Effector to produce slight variation in their positions, rotations, and scale otherwise the plank pattern may look to regular.

A Material using the Shaders > MoGraph > Multi shader will allow you to effectively choose random textures using a MoGraph Random effector.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Thanks for the replys. Too much of a repeating pattern in the "copy/paste" method.

Let me explain a little more in detail. This is a wall display that's about 75' long by 45' high with bands of these 3 sized planks. So there's a 3' high band off the floor, then a 5' high band that has insert trophy displays, then a 6' high band on top of that and so on. There's (6) of these bands stacked high. So the random effect of the 4-6-8 wide boards is very important and WAY too many to place individually. I also have the vertical edges beveled to highlight the lines when looking down the wall.

A random effector really isn't needed for p/r/s but doesn't really matter if I can't get the spacing right. I'd love to use that multi-shader (which I haven't done before) but once again I have to get the spacing right. I have a half-baked fallback plan of leaving the 8' piece out, putting a solid panel behind them and spacing them out at 10". It wouldn't be right but would leave gaps that you could see the solid panel behind. As much as mograph does I can't imagine there's not some way to do this.

thanks,

Old 06 June 2012   #5
I don't see why MG won't work for you ?
The previous samples were all MG ... including the render.

Using the same details as posted, and changing out the tex,
may be the solution.

If repetition is unwanted, use a different tex map and adjust
to your liking. ie. per this example.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
so if I understand what your saying, manually copy pieces to make larger panel then using mograph to duplicate the panels? I guess if you made up like 4 or 6 panel variations that were all the same width then had mograph randomize those..... that would work.

You would think there's a way to get mograph to recognize the varying widths of the boards and just do it automatically. But apparently not.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116372...176915535365714
hopefully, if this works, this a link to a pic with showing where I'm at. I have S&T turned on to highlight the edges.

thanks for the replies!

Old 06 June 2012   #7
To answer your questions:

Yes. MG would repeat those blocks of various width boards.
Additional effectors would have their influence.

Automatically ... yes, only with your input and direction

Your Link: broken.

Without a file, any further help just amounts to guessing.

In addition, there have been threads on this subject as well. Perhaps
a search for gap ... distance may help? Finally, gurus like base80, etc.,
specialize in solving these kinds of issues for a small fee.

Old 06 June 2012   #8
David Wickenden (darter) did a Coffee Gap Effector a few years back.

must-reads :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=47&t=839130
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=47&t=1012765

d

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread