Valve to release "Source Filmmaker"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Valve to release "Source Filmmaker"

See the narrated walkthrough on youtube:

http://youtu.be/Zri1c_If6Ic

Description from the official site:

Quote: The Source Filmmaker (SFM) is the movie-making tool built and used by us here at Valve to make movies inside the Source game engine. Because the SFM uses the same assets as the game, anything that exists in the game can be used in the movie, and vice versa. By utilizing the hardware rendering power of a modern gaming PC, the SFM allows storytellers to work in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get environment so they can iterate in the context of what it will feel like for the final audience.

To celebrate the announcement of the SFM, we've also released "Meet the Pyro", the ninth installment in the "Meet the Team" series. Like all of our animated shorts, we made it using the SFM.

http://sourcefilmmaker.com/

Old 06 June 2012   #2
looks really cool ! i Love you Valve !

by the way where is source 2.0 ... where is HL3 ...

Old 06 June 2012   #3
It's cool to see the power of real-time rendering engines being brought to linear storytelling in a dedicated way. Crytek's Cinebox is the other one I'm keeping an eye on, although it's target market and general approach seem quite different.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
Originally Posted by benhartnett: It's cool to see the power of real-time rendering engines being brought to linear storytelling in a dedicated way. Crytek's Cinebox is the other one I'm keeping an eye on, although it's target market and general approach seem quite different.

Crytek cinebox looks to be very ambitious indeed. There even things like realtime area lights and subd surfaces anounced. Wondering when it will come out and if we can get our hands on it

Old 06 June 2012   #5
The beauty is the Source Filmmaker is being able to play it like a game (TF2) and then go in and do a complete edit it of assets and animation later. I had no idea all the Meet the Character videos were done this way. Amazing

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Wow...jaw dropping amazing!
www.policarpo.us
Policarpo.Prints

Old 06 June 2012   #7
This looks neat - is there a notion of a control rig? ala motionbuilder or even rudementary IK?

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Originally Posted by eek: This looks neat - is there a notion of a control rig? ala motionbuilder or even rudementary IK?

Yeah, there is both. The normal rig on the player classes are all FK, but you can parent (called locks in SFM) whatever you would like to the bones or have the bones use world rotation and not the bones parents. You can also switch over to an IK rig if you need to move bits around while other parts stay in place. You are able to switch back and forth as needed by detaching one rig and reattaching the other. You can see the control rig by holding down ctrl and they appear in the viewport. I haven't tried to import a custom rig yet, still getting used to everything.

BTW, they put up the base tutorial vids you can check out on the main site. Hugely helpful and definitely recommended to see what you can do in SFM while waiting for your beta keys.
http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Originally Posted by eek: This looks neat - is there a notion of a control rig? ala motionbuilder or even rudementary IK?

Yup, there will be built-in rigs, IK, and custom rigs -- check out the wiki!

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Signed up for Beta testing!
I cant wait to play with it!

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Originally Posted by EdtheHobbit: Yup, there will be built-in rigs, IK, and custom rigs -- check out the wiki!

Awesome, yep signed up for the beta see what happens.

Old 06 June 2012   #12
Well, is this also useful for Previsualization, or are there just the valve-games worlds with which you can animate your movie?

Old 06 June 2012   #13
Originally Posted by Roadrunner4D: Well, is this also useful for Previsualization, or are there just the valve-games worlds with which you can animate your movie?

My assumption is anything you export to SMD will work, so yes this would be an excellent previz tool..

The SMD format is very simple and clean, and pretty easy to write an exporter for it.

Old 07 July 2012   #14
Originally Posted by eek: My assumption is anything you export to SMD will work, so yes this would be an excellent previz tool..

The SMD format is very simple and clean, and pretty easy to write an exporter for it.

A realtime previs tool with interactive, robust lighting... The real trick is going to be getting our final renders to look as good as the previs!

Old 07 July 2012   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread