Firm Plans To Raise Celebrities From The Dead

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Firm Plans To Raise Celebrities From The Dead

Link

A British firm that received a bit of international notoriety when it projected a hologram of Tupac Shakur on stage at the Coachella Music Festival in April says that it intends to resurrect other dead performers similarly, including Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Marilyn Monroe — and take them on tour. John Rock, director of London-based Musion Systems, which uses projectors and mirrors to create the life-like images on stage, told the London Daily Mirror that the process “just gets better and better.” Developing a traveling show with the holograms, Rock suggested, is limited not by the technology but by the difficulties of developing rights deals with the lawyers and others representing the estates of the dead performers. But the Mirror report suggests that many of the rights holders are also intrigued by the potential of the technology. Hendrix’s sister Jani told the newspaper that she has been working with the holograms’ developers for a year. “For us, of course, it’s about keeping Jimi authentically correct,” she said. And Jeff Jampol, who manages Jim Morrison’s estate, indicated that he’s waiting for the day when the developers “get to a point where 3D characters will walk around.” »

Old 06 June 2012   #2
...goddamnit.

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

Old 06 June 2012   #3
It's not going to be exactly a live performance... a dead performance?

Old 06 June 2012   #4
I'd rather they just get a Gorillaz tour up and running than seeing Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley "live". And the moment someone does this with Johnny Cash I'm staging a protest.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
There are a few people I know who would jump at the chance to go and see this mockery.

I cannot understand why though, when you go to a large gig the atmosphere is amazing, but that's because there are people in front of you who you admire, and respect (And who also, hopefully, happen to be alive and breathing )I'm clearly talking about good bands here, not your mainstream crap)), and of course these people are putting on a live performance, meaning that no one will have heard this exact performance before, and they interact with the crowd, whereas with this it's going to be at most a backing band with pre-recorded audio tracks from when the artists were alive and any interaction, if any, is clearly going to be canned phrases.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
They are not holograms. Just reflections in a plastic film.... just to clarify.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Looks like Digital Domain has some more money coming there way.

Old 06 June 2012   #8
Originally Posted by John Keates: They are not holograms. Just reflections in a plastic film.... just to clarify.

Also known as peppers ghost, been used for many years in theatre, on rides and of course it's how HUD's work.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Also known as peppers ghost, been used for many years in theatre, on rides and of course it's how HUD's work.

Only peppers ghost was much more of a hologram as it was a reflection of a real person so you could walk around the vertual image and the view would change. Musion is generally a reflection of a flat screen. Add to that the fact that people used to believe in ghosts and wern't used to such trickery and Musion looks pretty pale in comparison to the age old original.

Old 06 June 2012   #10
Wink I agree and disagree

Originally Posted by DanielWray: There are a few people I know who would jump at the chance to go and see this mockery.

I cannot understand why though, when you go to a large gig the atmosphere is amazing, but that's because there are people in front of you who you admire, and respect (And who also, hopefully, happen to be alive and breathing )I'm clearly talking about good bands here, not your mainstream crap)), and of course these people are putting on a live performance, meaning that no one will have heard this exact performance before, and they interact with the crowd, whereas with this it's going to be at most a backing band with pre-recorded audio tracks from when the artists were alive and any interaction, if any, is clearly going to be canned phrases.

I agree with you and at the same time disagree. I'm introvert, and the only moment I went to my favorite band show is when they are doing a gig at a fun fair. Just once. But you are right, it really great to be up close to someone you "respect", as least musically.

But at the same time, people like what ever they like, and sometimes, they just like the atmosphere. When people went to the concert, to some people, music is secondary. They just a) want to go out b) want to have a date c) want to find people with the same taste as you d) and much much more.

I went to IMAX "hounted castle" multiple times because it was fun, and the ending song is totallay awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cst9t8Bmpms).

So the reason some people went to Tupac concert is could be all of above, and just want to have a gathering of same minded poeple (who also listen to tupac). It just like current football. You can watch live on tv or at the stadium. Why does some people actually willing to take a leave, buy air ticket, and hotel accommodation?

It just because its something they like.

To quote Slumdog Millionaire.

"Just because."

Old 06 June 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread