teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

The Demise of Creativity

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was having a discussion about creativity with my girlfriend, and I began to realize I couldn't think of any great creative endeavor by young people today. I mean, the latest greatest blockbusters are based on comic book and toy properties that are 30 or 40 years old. (or more). Others are based on novels written by authors who are getting up there in age. I won't talk about all the remakes of Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese horror movies. Even Game of Thrones, possibly my new favorite series, is written by an author who aged to the point that his fans are worried that he will die before he finished the book series.

I won't even get into the great world changing creators like Henry Ford, Steve Jobs or Al Gore etc. They are all old or dead and gone. In the world of movies, the great creators like Lucas, Spielberg, Kubrick, Coppola, Cameron, Scorsese, Miyazaki, Rohmer, Goddard etc. are all either old, retired or dead. SO much seems to be based on what has gone before, even thousands of years before in the case of all the Greek Mythology films coming out these days. What new things are being created. What are the young people doing to contribute to the creative future. I have been doing a bit of teaching, and have talk to to other older animators who have done the same, and the story seems always the same, most young people are just trying to create Naruto, or some other anime.

Am I seeing things? Am I missing things? Is creativity done for?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Exactly what age would you consider "young"?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Exactly what age would you consider "young"?

Let's say Under 30. Actually I can' think of anything under 40 either.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
PorkpieSamurai
The PorkPie Samurai

portfolio
Chris Nichols
Vancouver, Canada

Its still there you just need to look a bit harder.
Some artists that come to mind in film would be Spike Jonze, Gasper Noe, Neil Blomkamp and Darren Aronofsky. Chris Cunningham has done some very creative music videos and short films in his time too.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

The type of film creativity you speak of requires sympathetic patrons-and there isnt much of them going around.
Studios dont want to be creative and they dont like taking risks anymore.
They care more about marketing and making a big opening day than storytelling.

Also in the book industry they adopted the same mentality-flooding shelves with a few authors so they can get big sales.

There is still creativity but the most imaginative is likely to be found in obscure places where there isnt massive hype around them (i.e. when District 9 was called bold and original despite Alien Nation and Enemy Mine having a similar theme).

The studios want franchises and brand names.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan

But in all fairness, how many people under 30 are doing anything of international renown, let alone interesting or original work? At the end of the day, it takes a long time to get a foothold in the film industry, so it's not surprising that there aren't many very young film makers out there. But as PorkpieSamurai pointed out, there are a few relatively young film makers out there who are doing things.

In your original post you said "creative endeavour", which could be interpreted more broadly than just the film industry, in which case I'd point out that in the world of music, photography and other creative industries, there's plenty of fresh, young talent.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
3D artist
Talvi Digital
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
Simple. In more and more competetive world it takes more and more balls to be orginal.
Orginal individuals with orginal ideas are not usually the most popular ones among people. Its pretty apparent in history books.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Gasper Noe is almost 50!! o_0. Neil Blomkamp might be the closest match for age, but as someone already mentioned, he isn't exactly original. Both he and Darren Aronofsky have direct rip offs of Japanese anime in their work, and a lot of that anime is ripping of the guys in that long list I mentioned in my first post. Many of those guys were making waves before or around 30 years old.

I think Vicox has it right. The guys doing truly original and creative stuff in film are likely not popular and I simply never heard of them and don't know where to find them. Perhaps the same is true in games. The other industries Leigh mentioned, like photography, I simply don't know enough about. In the tech industry, though, I am also not seeing it.

Edit: BTW _ I am not knocking these guys work. I loved District 9, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Below and others by these guys, and they are certainly a cut above the mainstream drivel, but they aren't exactly world changing. I mean, and I really HATE to use this as an example, because it is also decidedly unoriginal, but The Matrix really changed the way action films look, feel and play on screen, and people are still ripping it off to this day (Resident Evil 4?) even though it is almost 15 years old.

Yes, I am aware slow motion bullet dodging comes from Blade (as far as western audiences know) as do the black coats and general style, and the fighting comes from decades of Chinese film, but what happened after The Matrix, as seen in Watchmen, Hellboy, RE movies, Ninja Assassin, Underworld, Equilibrium, Night Watch, and too many others to name, is directly attributable to that one film. Yet the guys I mentioned made even bigger waves in their day, I believe.

Last edited by teruchan : 06-17-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

The Human Centipede was original.
Cant say I have heard of a film concept like that before.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
What new things are being created. What are the young people doing to contribute to the creative future.

The current political/economic system in place around the world, places young people in a distinct "consumer" category.

Young people are supposed to ask their parents for "pocket money" or an "allowance".

They are then supposed to spend that money on movies, computer games, music albums, books, magazines, comics, mobile phones, MP3 players, broadband internet, cable TV, game consoles, desktop computers, notebook computers, tablet computers, pizza & other fast food, energy drinks, sports apparel, et cetera et cetera. Of course there is also school & college tuition added to that list of expenses...

They system is designed to keep young people - up to the age of say 28 - consuming, consuming, consuming. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

And there really is no major mechanism in place that is designed to discover "talented young people", or reward "young creative pioneers" financially or otherwise.

Besides, the young ones today are so busy texting, tweeting, facebooking and shooting (poor quality) photographs & video of any half-way interesting shit they see in the realworld, that they don't seem to have time for any real creative endeavors anymore.

Call me a cynic, but I honestly think that the current system, run largely by big companies and governments that know no better, is all about keeping young people consuming & spending, consuming & spending, consuming & spending.

Have you ever heard of say Apple, Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, or any number of other big companies, being on the lookout for "young talented creatives"?

I haven't. The current system is very much built around "experienced old farts" creating monetizable things that the "inexperienced young farts" can consume in return for a little money.

For young creatives to become the "tip of the spear" in terms of creative production would require a major shakeup of the current system. The system really isn't built for that right now.

Nobody will let a 20 year-old direct a 90 Million movie.

Nobody will let an 18 year old designer create any sort of consumer electronics for a major brand.

No game publisher will let a 19 year old become lead designer on an AAA game title.

And no book publisher I am aware of is looking for the next 16-year-old-writing-wonder.

Its just the way the "real world" of money & creativity & production works right now.

The only people who can change this, interestingly enough, are the younglings themselves.

If only they used the - many - electronic tools at their disposal a bit better than they do...

If only they stopped creating things like fan-art, and fan-fiction, and stupid parodies or fan-movies of things that already exist.

Maybe if the world comes out of the current economic crisis, and money becomes more plentiful to throw around everywhere, maybe then something could change about bringing "young talent" into the production cycle.

And maybe services like Kickstarter, when they mature a bit, can go some way towards putting an actual "budget" in the hands of young creatives.

I'm pessimistic that it will happen.

As long as industry wants young people to stay "on the consumption-side of things", nothing much will change.

Last edited by DePaint : 06-17-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
ViCoX
Coffee.

portfolio
Juhani Karlsson
3D artist
Talvi Digital
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to ViCoX
The bigger the herd gets the harder it is to separate.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
And no book publisher I am aware of is looking for the next 16-year-old-writing-wonder.

Actually there was a fair bit of this a few years ago--but the goal wasnt to discover new talent--it was to promote them as a genius as a way of getting a marketing advantage (the content of the book was secondary to the marketing).

In fact some literary agents will request that potential clients list marketable qualities about themselves when approaching them for representation.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
The Human Centipede was original.
Cant say I have heard of a film concept like that before.

Hahaha, I'm the only person in my entire social circle who enjoyed that film. It's an interesting example to bring up, considering it's not a Hollywood offering - if I recall correctly, it was a German or Dutch production, and I think the director is quite young too. These days, about 99% of the films I actually go to the cinema to see are non-English films from Europe, Canada and elsewhere. There's a wealth of creativity and originality outside of the mainstream.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Actually there was a fair bit of this a few years ago--but the goal wasnt to discover new talent--it was to promote them as a genius as a way of getting a marketing advantage (the content of the book was secondary to the marketing).

In Haruki Murakami's new book 1Q84, there is a whole subplot about a young-girl name Fuka Eri writing a strangely wonderful novel named "Air Crysalis", which then becomes a huge publishing sensation in Japan after winning 1st place in a national writing competition.

Of course, things aren't as simple as that. But I don't want to spoil a 950 page book for people who haven't read it yet.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

Quote:

People our age have to pay our dues before we're allowed to make breakout hits like that. Even those who do it on their own have a lot of work ahead of them before they're skilled enough to execute it properly.

However, if you include books, the author of Eragon started his series at age 15, so there's that.

Thread Closed share thread