Softmod with custom ctrls for position and falloff

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Softmod with custom ctrls for position and falloff

Once I found a tutorial online and built a working rig that uses the softmod (with history) as a deformer. Now I cant remember how that went.

Basically, plug 2 locators (or curve controls) into the soft mod channels to animate the falloff and the deformers position. Effectively this gets rid of the softModHandle and uses anim controls to move the deformation and falloff around the mesh.

any pointers are much appreciated.

thanks,
Jan

06 June 2012
yeah you can do it with a copy of your mesh blend shaped into the original and use locators on the surface of original mesh to drive the soft mods.

theres a good video for $2.95 explaining the concept here http://www.rigging101.com/cds.htm

it works but its kind of annoying to setup.

however...... try thus script here:
http://terencejacobson.com/hyperRealMeshParent.mel

its way easier and very robust and works with soft mods, constraints and joints and they´ll ride along with your blend shapes for free

06 June 2012
thanks for the tip. HyperReal is also an option.

cheers,
J

07 July 2012
hey Jan ,

i think what you are searching for , is , to connect the "worldInverseMatrix" ( e.g. of the null-group of your softmod) into the "bindPreMatrix" of your softmod .

also you con connect any kind of "translate"-attribute into the FallOffTranslate of your softmod .
( that makes the sliding-effect )

Last edited by tonytouch : 07 July 2012 at 11:13 AM.

07 July 2012
Hi,
Are you looking for something like this :-
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...r_2_skincluster
Rgds,

07 July 2012
Quote: i think what you are searching for , is , to connect the "worldInverseMatrix" ( e.g. of the null-group of your softmod) into the "bindPreMatrix" of your softmod .

hey any mor einfo on that...that almost looks like it makes a soft mod work on a rig without the hyperreal script...almost

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by jhektor: Once I found a tutorial online and built a working rig that uses the softmod (with history) as a deformer. Now I cant remember how that went.

Basically, plug 2 locators (or curve controls) into the soft mod channels to animate the falloff and the deformers position. Effectively this gets rid of the softModHandle and uses anim controls to move the deformation and falloff around the mesh.

any pointers are much appreciated.

thanks,
Jan

You can take a look at my face rig setup and learn from it by reverse engineering it

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...d-rig-system--2

07 July 2012
Thanks for your tips guys.

I have checked my previous setup and all I did was to plug the locators translate output into the softmod falloffCenter (x,y,z) inputs. In this case, both were constrained to an anim control (translate for locator, orient for handle, with a sdk for the handle z-axis, as this was used to mimic breathing of abdomen area)... actually that can be donr by overriding the input of the deformer handle's weighted node input, explained below.

Have to try more variations on the inverseWorldMatrix idea tonytouch suggested... Along those lines: rediscovered another feature that I read about originally... pasting the name of a e.g. locator into the weighted node property of the softmod handle shape (also works on clusters of course). This acutally gives you a new transform input which is loc.worldmatrix into softmod.matrix . This combined with the locator for falloff center you can build some custom controls for that softmod. Nice.

So this can give you something like a swallow effect for example.

This doesnt ride along with other deformations, so hyperreal or rivets still have that advantage.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread