Help with texturing cloth.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2002   #1
Help with texturing cloth.

Just wondering if anyone could share any tips on how to get a nice looking cloth. Bumpmap help being the most important I think, but any would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06 June 2002   #2
Well, that would really depend on what kind of cloth you are making!! Elaborate a bit for us....

Old 06 June 2002   #3
just your regular cotton type shirt, not sure how else to describe it other than it's pretty much how ever t-shirt i have looks like.

Old 06 June 2002   #4
cotton...

One thing I was noticing was that on cotton shirts, there are very small fibers sticking this way and that. It makes for a good glow effect with a strong backlight (like hair or fur).

Is there anyway to do this yet? It would be awesome..

Old 06 June 2002   #5
Well, with cloth you have to remember to make it translucent. That allows it to be backlit. With regards to making it coarse and kinda hairy, well I guess you could use a hair engine (like Sasquatch, MayaFur, Shag) on it, but using very very tiny hairs... You can't make fake threads with just texturing

And as for cotton... well, I guess that's just really a bump map thing. It can vary slightly from weave to weave, but generally cotton has a long vertical weave to it, so making a "stripey" bump map should do the trick The thing is, when cotton gets used, it tends to get thready, and furry, so, like I said above, it may be cool to experiment with hair engines...

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread