CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Vimeo is banned In India

It is strange, how relevant/irrelevant is ban on Vimeo by the Indian Court (Chennai Court) saying that is promoting piracy,probably the the person doesn't know much about internet and the creative community using vimeo for sharing their knowledge,experience and work.

The more strange part is that "youtube " is left out from this ban where you can find the whole movie apart from some other stuff which should be banned.

I suppose vimeo staff is still sleeping whereas their users in India are suffering, they should have filed an appeal regarding this irresponsible act.

To me creative community should be free only then they can flourish and grow.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Lord of the posts
CGSociety Member
Nick Deboar
Lighting TD
Note sticky:
Important: Please provide links to your sources.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Jignesh Jariwala
3D/VFX Artist
surat, India
Send a message via Yahoo to jigu
It was banned on "Reliance Broadband" ISP 2 weeks ago (which I use). They used to ban many websites when their movies get released in India (by Reliance Mediaworks) But when they banned vimeo last time, I was very surprised and angry at the same time. I mean Vimeo is a platform for video sharing/blogging for artists.

Anyway vimeo is back up and working fine. Also when it was banned here, they banned "http" connection but I was able to open vimeo with secure connection using "https" and that was working.

Here is the link to story ::
Demoreel 2012
Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #4

Last edited by gregjenings : 05-19-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Lord of the posts
George Rolfe
Newport, AU
Largest Democracy in the world my ass.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
MTNL and BSNL the largest service provider in India are controlled by govt.they have also blocked vimeo.

Democracy where there is no place for cartoons

Last edited by gregjenings : 05-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Kamal Bhardwaj
Lighting Artist
LEUVEN, Belgium
Send a message via Yahoo to digitalworkshop
Tutorial : How to bypass the Indian Internet Censorship

The Chinese do it. The Tibetans do it...its sad it has come down to this - India will now have to use Tor.

The Indian government, in a misguided idealistic attempt to control what it cannot, blocked many internet sites. Whats even more interesting is that the list is nebulous and ever-growing. Some of the sites blocked include:

The list can be accessed here:

If you would like to access these websites and many others blocked or to be blocked for free, please follow the instructional video on this page to install and use the Tor Browser. It takes only 5 minutes and is very easy to do and requires no technical expertise.

(I am sure in time the Government will try to block Tor's website too. So its good to know how to download tor using Gmail.)

Here is the instructional video:

Tor browser bundle is a modified Firefox that you can use to browse the internet (near) anomalously. At least you can access the blocked sites. Its slower than regular browsing, so its recommended to use Tor browser bundle only for blocked sites and your regular favorite browser for non blocked sites.

Please support artists and content creators by purchasing and paying for their creations. Please do not share or download copyrighted material and indulge in any illegal activity. Lets fight for a censorship free Internet. Please share this mail with all your homies.

Today, we face grave dangers from Concentrated Livestock Farming. India will become the 3rd largest exporter of Beef this year - bypassing USA. We face grave dangers from illigal slaughterhouses polluting Indian groundwater, destroying rainforests and illigal fishing pushing sharks and whales to the brink of extinction. The poachers ensure tigers and elephants share the same fate. India faces a more grave danger from plastic than nuclear weapons. Our food supplies are being monopolized to Monsanto by greedy politicians.

Do not support cruelty, censorship and plain old stupidity. Do not vote for any Goverment that misuses public money and trust. Lets fight for the real issues, not misguided idealism.
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Mukund Dhananjay
Unreal + VR Developer
This move is not dissimilar to the one the US government took up to fight piracy; in fact this entire move reeks of the same SOPA/PIPA controversy. Unfortunately, we Indians have a certain "chill man, this doesn't affect us" attitude. Secondly, a majority of the people are not even aware of the potential impact of such actions by Governments, for the lack of a better term.

We are country ruled by goons, idiot and neanderthals. But then as they say, in a democracy you get the government you deserve.
The things we own, end up owning us.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Sachin Shrestha
Production Technology Supervisor
Prana Studios
Mumbai, India
Its extremely annoying that the powers that be have absolutely no clue about some of the websites that they are banning. Vimeo of all things!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
I will never be a fan of any kind of political correctness: I think it's instant death to creativity." - Mads Mikkelsen
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey
Here in Turkey, was banned from 2007 - 2011.

One Turkish criminal court after another put a ban on because a handful of politically motivated Greeks/Armenians intentionally kept uploading insulting, political, anti-Turkish videos to, which, under Turkish law, were judged to be "insulting Turkishness" by the courts.

This was a major pain in the ass for everyone who likes to keep up with popular internet videos.

Now the ban has been lifted, and we've had free access to Youtube since September 2011.

Because of this experience, I know how Indians must feel about the banning of Vimeo and other sites.

It sucks to try to view a video, and wind up staring at a screen that says "because of a violation of section 112.1 of media law X, access to this website is forbidden".

I hope the ban is temporary. The Youtube ban in Turkey drove me half-crazy when it was in place.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
I was just wondering - why in such case you can't use onion routing or simply proxy servers to access whichever site you want? It is impossible to ban all proxy and onion routers.
Beauty Pass - 3D apps vendors' jest of a lifetime - most of the time it has nothing to do with beauty, and it isn't a pass anyway.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Amit Khanna
Technical Artist
New Delhi, India
Post Vimeo Unblocker

Hi guys,

After going through same frustration as you all, I have put together this Firefox extension which allows you to watch Vimeo videos on or any other site.

Give it a try and let me know if you face any problems: Vimeo Unblocker

You will also find an article on my blog on how to embed Vimeo videos on your sites without becoming a victim of the existing ban.

VFX & RnD Reel | Cloth Reel
Zero G
Uplift Universe
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread