Help me spend 10k-15k high end workstation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
Help me spend 10k-15k high end workstation

Hey guys,
I'm upgrading my main editing machine and I have a decent budget. My goal is it to be super responsive on a day-to-day basis. I don't do a lot of complex calculation and for anything that needs rendering, I'll just send it off to the farm.

I also don't want to build my machine. I'm way too busy and would pay a premium for super high quality support (the kind of support that knows how to use a kernel debugger to diagnose driver issues).

I mainly use: Premiere/After effects for lots of video editing/color correcting effects, Photoshop/Lightroom, and Maya/Max for occasional 3d renders.

I'm trying to decide between these Boxx systems (although I'm open to any other suggestions) but don't want to spend money on an overspec'ed machine:
Questions:
  • Will a dual Xeon really have that much of an impact on the day to day of using After Effects? A lot of times, we're using Warp stabilizer to fix footage and using the new rotoscoping tool which eats up some processing power. If I add in a second xeon, has someone experienced a noticeable improvement? I know in Photoshop/Lightroom, a second CPU actually decreases performance by like 30% (software bug that supposedly was fixed in the new version). How does After effects/premiere compare?
  • What about the graphics card? I know the new Maximus (or Tesla + Quadro combo) is pretty impressive when it comes to Max/Maya & complex simulations. What about when it comes to video editing? Is there a massive improvement here as well?
  • Would it be better to get a single CPU and opt for a Quadro 5000 + Tesla C2075? And if that's the case, does it matter whether I go with a cheaper i7 that's overclocked at 4.5 ghz vs a Xeon processer?

Thanks!

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread