Portrait Lady

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Portrait Lady

This my new WIP

This is going to be potrait of a girl sitting on a chair

and this is finished picture

Last edited by MarcinG : 04 April 2012 at 07:16 PM.

04 April 2012
I see you’re not closely following reference here.
The drawing so far is structurally weak. You need to concentrate on anatomy. Copying photos 'verbatim' does little to develop general drawing/painting skills that allow you to create your own images successfully. Why did you crop out her foot and part of the chair? Inexperienced people always seem to fall into the trap of wanting to show as much of a subject as possible within the frame, and as a result make sacrifices by lopping of parts of the subject to force it to fit into the picture. You need to consider the framing at the same time as you consider the composition. You can make this work by showing all of her and the chair.

Last edited by Quadart : 04 April 2012 at 10:31 PM.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by Quadart: I see you’re not closely following reference here.
The drawing so far is structurally weak. You need to concentrate on anatomy. Copying photos 'verbatim' does little to develop general drawing/painting skills that allow you to create your own images successfully. Why did you crop out her foot and part of the chair? Inexperienced people always seem to fall into the trap of wanting to show as much of a subject as possible within the frame, and as a result make sacrifices by lopping of parts of the subject to force it to fit into the picture. You need to consider the framing at the same time as you consider the composition. You can make this work by showing all of her and the chair.

Leg and chair is croped on the photo

But dont worry i'll try to draw it by my self

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by MarcinG: Leg and chair is croped on the photo

So you automatically think that’s a good thing?

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by MarcinG: Leg and chair is croped on the photo

But dont worry i'll try to draw it by my self

That is a really bad idea. This is exactly where most inexperienced artists fail.

Read about the dangers of cherry-picking from references: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...955#post7242955

04 April 2012
I think I can manage to draw one foot and a half of a chair.

I hope that drawing foot and leg of a chair is not that hard .

Last edited by MarcinG : 04 April 2012 at 08:04 AM.

04 April 2012
And you still remember what happened the last time you tried to fake something on your own (the viking piece)? So many artists fail at drawing feet that it's not even funny. If you are not an advanced artist who has a strong grasp of anatomy/figure, then don't try to fake anything--you're just not ready for that.

But of course, we are assuming you are aiming for quality. If you just want to have fun and don't care about depicting bad anatomy/figure, then it doesn't matter what others think--just do what makes you happy. Just remember what when you show your work publicly, people are going to comment on it.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by Lunatique: And you still remember what happened the last time you tried to fake something on your own (the viking piece)? So many artists fail at drawing feet that it's not even funny. If you are not an advanced artist who has a strong grasp of anatomy/figure, then don't try to fake anything--you're just not ready for that.

But of course, we are assuming you are aiming for quality. If you just want to have fun and don't care about depicting bad anatomy/figure, then it doesn't matter what others think--just do what makes you happy. Just remember what when you show your work publicly, people are going to comment on it.

Your right abaout Viking, but that piece was almost hole made from my mind from the beging, when problems started then I used reference and that was the problem.

Then things was much better with clint but i wasnt happy not using my photo.

This time i have good photo, but not perfect, but its mine.

So im going to give it a try

04 April 2012
update with legs

04 April 2012
adding colours

04 April 2012
so, what do you think about the legs?

04 April 2012
any crits?

Quadart, Lunatique what do you think?

04 April 2012
What should people criticise when you’re following a photo? Imo the outer leg of the chair is too short and the pose of her right foot is looking stiff - no joke.

Personally i have some doubts also about the other foot, the cut of the shoe is rather off at the heel, but if you say it was a photo then... let’s see what’s happening there.

04 April 2012
It's generally not a good idea to painted entire isolated areas like that while leaving the rest of the image blank without any values/colors. You have to plan your entire image with tonal composition and block in the overall values and colors to get an overview to make sure everything works together, then you work on the next level of detail, and then finally the micro-details.

04 April 2012
That's right, I forgot about this.
I went to much detail on this level.

Originally Posted by Lunatique: It's generally not a good idea to painted entire isolated areas like that while leaving the rest of the image blank without any values/colors. You have to plan your entire image with tonal composition and block in the overall values and colors to get an overview to make sure everything works together, then you work on the next level of detail, and then finally the micro-details.

Thread Closed share thread