March-2012-The Dance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #1
March-2012-The Dance

March-2012-
This month I figured a decent challenge would be to animate a dance, get some practice working with audio files and making animations compliment them. I still recommend something short (10-15 seconds) unless you find yourself overloaded with free time then go ahead and wow us with your rendition of the Napoleon Dynamite performance.

Inspiration on the topic:
http://www.ted.com/talks/the_lxd_in_the_internet_age_dance_evolves.html

Here are the tiers:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 1 :

Concept: Animate a character staying in place overall, executing simple moves that coordinate with the rhythm of an audio file.

Focus: This will help someone new to working with audio files and syncing to match up a beat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 2 :

Concept: Animate a moving character (more creative dancing)

Focus: Try to give purpose to the movements as the character moves from place to place, this assignment will be much easier if you film yourself or someone else dancing.
Tier 3 :

Concept: Advanced dance with acrobatics (add in a flip or some break dancing movements)

Focus: Creating an entertaining routine with some more complicated and challenging movements such as a flip or twirling the body while being supported by a hand.

Please share posts related to this month in this thread, and for suggestions on improving the challenge in the future, thoughts on it like if you think the tier idea is good or bad post those in the general thread here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7227540

Lastly try to use your creativity to the fullest, if you are thinking of doing an animation/scene that you have seen in a zillion demo reels try to think of something new instead. This is to improve your creativity and give you a unique clip to expand on or keep as is for your reel if you want along with making your animation skill set stronger.

Good luck, have fun, and learn a thing or two!

Old 03 March 2012   #2
I started working on mine using videos from www.referencereference.com, so far I am just blocking out the animation roughly and only made it about 45 frames into it. Does anyone else use FCheck to compare video references or something else? I like it because I made the file into frames then I can click and drag to have control over the frame I am viewing along with drawing overlays for notes.

http://vimeo.com/38100293 for the clip so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screencapture of wip.jpg (33.0 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Andrewty07 : 03 March 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added video link

Old 03 March 2012   #3
Unfortunately I don't have time to take part in this right now, but I really like animating to music. I thought I'd post a dancing piece I did last year for a challenge on the 11SecondClub. It's the first thing in my reel here - http://www.graphite9.com/Recent_Work.html
I see lots of things I can improve now, but this time last year I was pretty happy with it
Good luck to everyone here for this one, a great tool for working out timing for animation to music is 'Beatronome', a free app for Windows, I don't have the link handy but it should be easy enough to find with a Google search.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread