Suggestion for a business dedicated forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should CGS have a business forum?
Strongly Agree 24 88.89%
Agree 2 7.41%
Disagree 1 3.70%
Strongly Disagree 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2012   #1
Suggestion for a business dedicated forum

After many points have been up discussing the pros/cons of having a forum for business and specifically how much people charge I think that it would be a good idea. It could be a main forum of "Business" with sub-forums for different aspects or industries. This could help artists resolve legal issues, plan finances, calculate how to charge for a project. I would recommend a disclaimer sticky to clarify that any amounts are per specific situations or opinions because the main debate issue was whether costs could be useful or applicable due to varying industries and situations. One example of how it would be useful is discussing choosing a cost for a 3d model to place up online such as using turbosquidtentacles. It is a market that is the same price for anyone but still brings up questions on how you price a product.

Old 02 February 2012   #2
I definitely agree. I believe this would be a BIG help to newer artists and provide a place where questions regarding the business-end of CG can be answered. Just wish it was implemented YEARS ago.

Old 02 February 2012   #3
Strongly agree!
As an illustrator just starting freelance I've probably been all over the internet in search of information. There's just no forum for art and business! There's so little information and help to find, and what I do find is scattered all over the place. A little bit in some blog, a bit in a newspaper, a bit here and there, a huge jungle in the amazon bookstore, but nothing in the biggest art forums! Isn't that a bit weird?

I'd love to have a forum where we can talk about these topics professionally. Either to help fellow members in figuring out how to estimate their price properly, or to just discuss and share our experience on this subject.

Old 02 February 2012   #4
I also strongly agree with this.

Old 02 February 2012   #5
I definitely agree. Also it would be where artists are finding out what the industry average for salaries are in their field. Most job search engines don't even have a listing for some of the career fields.

I think that it help out a lot of the artists here.
...:::...:::...:::...:::...
DeviantArt

Old 03 March 2012   #6
Definitely agreed.

Old 04 April 2012   #7
I've been freelancing for almost a year now since graduating and still have so many questions about business. I'd love to see a section here devoted to all topics related to the subject. Whether or not the rule regarding salaries and such is changed is not as important to me, but I do think it could be beneficial if allowed as well.

Old 04 April 2012   #8
Hmmm

I will refer this to the Forum Leaders and our legal advice to see what we can do, no promises but I can see the idea has some merit.

cheers,
BEN

Old 04 April 2012   #9
Thanks for at least considering it.

Old 04 April 2012   #10
Great idea here.

Old 04 April 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread