Writing scipts and shaders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2003
Writing scripts and shaders

Does anyone know if I have to use an external compiler to write scripts and shaders, or can I do it in something like Notepad?
The docs mention C++ compilers, but I'm wondering if I need it.

Oh, and I got my Studio today!! Yipee skippee!!

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

Last edited by Stoehr : 11 November 2003 at 05:27 AM.

11 November 2003
I think I found my answer in the docs; which is "yes" I do an external compiler, but if someone would confirm this for me?

Thanks.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

11 November 2003
afaik you need c not c++, but i could be wrong.
ask Ron.

11 November 2003
Compiling

It's not easy to find stuff in the Messiah documen's.
As I understand it the best thing to do is to open up every single page and se what there are on them.

from your writing I suppose that you have found the 'General Info/Develop/C language Reference' but there is also another section called 'General Info/Expressions & Messiah:script' that I missed myself when searching the first time.

If you read the section 'General Info/Expressions & Messiah:script /Messiah:script/Overview' you will see among other things that no compiler is needed for scripts as they are compiled when messiah starts up (at least if I get it right).

I do however not know what can be done as a script or how fast it is. If you need to write a 'real' plugin you will need to write it in C and compile.

I'm not a C programmer myself but from what I saw when looking at it it seems to be well documented and they even explain how to set the project up in Microsofts Visual C++ v6 and v7 so if one knows C i don't think it should to hard to figure it out.

11 November 2003
Shaders can be either scripts or pre-compiled plugins. Scripts can be written in any text editor, I use Jext, and are compiled by messiah on launch. There's a script log in the messiah dir you can check for compile errors.

Plugins are pre-complied C. The base system is C but you can use C++, with a few conditions. These are covered in the SDK docs. I use MS Visual C++ for plugins.

There are a couple shader scripts included in messiah. Look in the scripts directory for examples.

Building a script shader will allow you to have a standard connection node, but if you want a custom interface panel in the left bar I think you have to do a pre-compiled plugin.

PMG stated that the shader architecture is similar to renderman and concepts should transfer well.

11 November 2003
Thanks for your help guys. I did find the scripts docs. I'll start there, as they suggestd, and then I'll invest into an external compiler if needed.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

11 November 2003
More cutting and pasting from egroups

free GNU compiler with IDE at

http://www.bloodshed.net/c/index.html main site

Dev-C++ 5.0 beta 8 (4.9.8.0) (12 MB) with Mingw/GCC 3.2

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html <---download of the above

11 November 2003
Thanks Nando!

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread