In need of career advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2011   #1
In need of career advice

I've been working professionally for over four years now, mostly in the viz-game but also with animated feature film and video games. Mainly with lighting and shaders. In 2012, I will be looking for a new job and my goal is to land one in the vfx industry (MPC, DD, Dneg etc).

So far, I've been working lots with Maya, 3dsMax, Mental Ray and VRay. I have great knowledge in all of them but here comes the twist, most of the large houses use Renderman.

What I am looking for here are your thoughts on the following: Is it a must for me to learn it pre-employment? It feels really weird if that would be the case, but when reading the work-ads, my insecurity grows.

I am not a student anymore and to go out and buy (there isn't even a trial to get) Renderman is a very expensive adventure.. so I don't really know how to approach all of this.

All thoughts much appreciated

Cheers,
Patrik

Last edited by kizoku : 12 December 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 12 December 2011   #2
Patrik,
Learning renderman is something you can do later. Its all dependent on your reel to gain a job as a lighter I would expect to see at least some movie quality shots that you have pushed through a lighting pipe. So that's knowing Maya and Nuke.

b

Old 12 December 2011   #3
We don't expect junior artists to have knowledge of RenderMan (though of course it helps). Demonstrating a good eye and an understanding of how light behaves is far more important.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Old 12 December 2011   #4
Thanks guys
I also got the tip from a friend to try out 3Delight, but there aren't really any tutorials for that.. (the ones on their website can hardly be counted). But this brightened my day! Thanks!

Old 12 December 2011   #5
All the companies you mentioned have priority interfaces which you can only learn in house.

If you want to use a free RenderMan compliant renderer, then 3delight is pretty good http://www.3delight.com . It's pretty close to prman, but also has it's own peculiarities.

Simon

Old 12 December 2011   #6
Originally Posted by rendermaniac: All the companies you mentioned have priority interfaces which you can only learn in house.

If you want to use a free RenderMan compliant renderer, then 3delight is pretty good http://www.3delight.com . It's pretty close to prman, but also has it's own peculiarities.

Simon

Thanks mate, have you found any other tutorials on 3delight besides the few they have on their website? Feels a bit too big just to jump into with no real guide

Old 12 December 2011   #7
Some of the places on that list probably don't use Renderman exclusively either.

DD, Luma Pictures, The Mill, Gradient, Scanline VFX, Whiskey Tree, Buf, ILM, Zoic, etc.

They use a mixture or no Renderman at all.

Old 12 December 2011   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread