Student Version of Messiah Studio: Available?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2003   #1
Student Version of Messiah Studio: Available?

I've always liked Newtek's student version pricing system. Is there something similar with Studio? If so, how much? If not, why not?
 
Old 11 November 2003   #2
Educational pricing

Already received an answer from pmG. Only sell to educational Institutions ONLY and not to users. No explanation given except it's their policy. Would have been nice though !

 
Old 11 November 2003   #3
Yes, a fully-functional PLE for non-commerical purposes at a discount, such as what Kaydara is offering with MotionBuilder, would be very nice.
__________________
Sean Omlor
my LOTR challenge!
my living toon!
 
Old 11 November 2003   #4
Price matching MotionBuilder

I even suggested if there was a potential for price matching messiah:animate 4 (upgrade) like Kaydara's MotionBuilder 5 at $200. I already have project:messiah 1.57 plugin.
No Go @ pmG ! Oh well !
However, I do find the messiah:animate 4 more appealing and functional for me. Saving money for it but also waiting for LW8
features TBA (already bought it & DFX+ deal).


Last edited by GCL : 11 November 2003 at 05:00 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #5
Re: Price matching MotionBuilder

Quote: Originally posted by GCL
I even suggested if there was a potential for price matching messiah:animate 4 (upgrade) like Kaydara's MotionBuilder 5 at $200. I already have project:messiah 1.57 plugin.


If you have p:m 1.57 then you can upgrade to m:a for $249.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #6
Quote: If you have p:m 1.57 then you can upgrade to m:a for $249


Thanks, I know it's not a large cash outlay for it. Just for the sake of argument and the " retail " sense of price matching, I thought pmG could swing sales their way from Kaydara's.
I'm told for now the upgrade price in effect but could change.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #7
I agree , PMG is gaining nothing by not offering student pricing.

I know many students that would purchase it if they offered a student pricing. Or like GCL said a 12 month PLE license like kaydara offered.

They own their huge userbase to the $100 PLE offer they did.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #8
A PLE or EXP kind of Messiah would also be cool, diferent file format that only opened on it, save disabling demos are old school IMO.
__________________
- Sil3 -
My Flickr
 
Old 11 November 2003   #9
Quote: Originally posted by GCL
Thanks, I know it's not a large cash outlay for it. Just for the sake of argument and the " retail " sense of price matching, I thought pmG could swing sales their way from Kaydara's.
I'm told for now the upgrade price in effect but could change.


Yes I think XSI should be priced matched to Animation Master, I mean, they are the same thing arn't they?

Read sarcasim.

Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get.
__________________
Geoff Suttor
------------------------------
http://suttor.com.au/

Last edited by gsuttor : 11 November 2003 at 10:06 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #10
Quote: Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get


You're right ! It does not hurt a bit to check with vendors on any price adjustment that could bolster sales. As stated, will get it soon but also waiting with anticipation for LW8 features, ala
character motion, etc.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #11
Quote: Originally posted by gsuttor
Yes I think XSI should be priced matched to Animation Master, I mean, they are the same thing arn't they?

Read sarcasim.

Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get.

XSI and many other packages, including MotionBuilder which is arguably Messiah's main competition, have EXP/PLE versions for non-commercial studies, which is the actual issue being discussed here.
__________________
Sean Omlor
my LOTR challenge!
my living toon!
 
Old 11 November 2003   #12
Quote: Originally posted by somlor
XSI and many other packages, including MotionBuilder which is arguably Messiah's main competition, have EXP/PLE versions for non-commercial studies, which is the actual issue being discussed here.


Fair enough, I stand corrected.

So what would you include in the PLE version, or more so, what whould you take out of the standard animate package to make it PLE?

I was thinking the demo is a PLE, but I cant say I've used it to know what the problem is with it.
__________________
Geoff Suttor
------------------------------
http://suttor.com.au/
 
Old 11 November 2003   #13
I find motionbuilder and messiah quite different applications. pmG's toolset for custom rigging and its many extra animation tools make it very different from MB which seems to focus on motion capture for bipeds.

I got pretty good pricing on my messiah studio by getting on board early when they first offered the messiah plugin.

Maybe you should try to find someone who has an unregistered messiah 1.57 for sale at a good price and upgrade from there.

Last edited by Chewey : 11 November 2003 at 11:38 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2003   #14
Well, I'd sooner have a fully enabled 30 day trial than a save-disabled, plugin-disabled version. MB currently offers a 90 day trial, and to my knowledge it is fully functional. This is plenty of time to learn the app and make a solid purchase decision. It especially sucks when Messiah is rather unstable on my work machine (no problems at home though - probably my fire gl card being picky again). Not being able to save means I have to redo the rig on my test character whenever it crashes or whenever I shut it down. That's not a very good way to test out software that you are considering for use in a production pipeline is it? The PLE for MB can also be used to create work for profit on a contract basis too. You just can't use it for studio work which is more than fair imo.

Personally I think the price for Messiah is more than adequate for students and pros alike. For the record I just don't like the crippled demo. =]
 
Old 11 November 2003   #15
Quote: Originally posted by gsuttor
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

So what would you include in the PLE version, or more so, what whould you take out of the standard animate package to make it PLE?

I was thinking the demo is a PLE, but I cant say I've used it to know what the problem is with it.

Well I'm actually most interested in Messiah:Studio which doesn't even have a demo version. :( As for what should/shouldn't be disabled, well I'm not really sure but I will say that I love that MotionBuilder offers a fully functional PLE at $200 for non-commercial freelance work. The "studio" version of the same package is $995, and then they also have a "professional" version with even more features for $3595.

The way I see it, it's a win/win situation to offer something like this, for a million reasons. More software is sold, giving more money for R&D, etc. More work is created generating more exposure. The online community gets largers providing encouragement/support, more plugins/scripts, more word of mouth, and more widespread testing for bugs. And all of this increases the chances of talented artists "name dropping" messiah in studios that hire them, etc.

I definitely agree that Messiah is reasonably priced, but I also think that for students just wanting to learn the software or artists just getting their toes wet with small freelance projects a PLE along the lines of what MotionBuilder is offering is IMHO great marketing.
__________________
Sean Omlor
my LOTR challenge!
my living toon!
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.