Mage Assassin Character Concept

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2011   #1
Mage Assassin Character Concept

Hey guys this is one of my first posts to this wonderful site and I'm looking for some opinions on my piece I'm currently creating here. The basic concept is an mage assassin and this is more directed at a video game type of art. As far as painting goes, I really am not 100% sure how to add all the detail needed for digital painting. I've been using photoshop for the character itself and just acquired painter 12 recently so I'm playing around with the interface and trying to get used to various techniques. For this particular painting I decided to sketch out the character first so I'm actually looking to improve my pencil drawing skills too. I started in grayscale and colored the character that way, but for the background I' m looking to do it completely in color to begin with. So any comments/critiques or even links to some great beginners tutorials would be amazing Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sketch.jpg (90.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg AntiMage.jpg (94.3 KB, 24 views)

Old 09 September 2011   #2
Have you had a chance to read the sticky threads at the Art T&T forum (linked in my signature below)? That would be a great place for you to start learning and improving as an artist.

Right now, you're at a pretty early stage in your artistic development that giving a critique would be similar to correcting someone who's trying to speak in a new language they just learned; you'd be correcting them constantly because almost everything they say would have mistakes. The best thing for you to do is simply buckle down and study/practice the critical foundations of visual art (you can find out all about them in the Art T&T forum).

Old 09 September 2011   #3
Okay I'll take a look, thanks for letting me know. Do you think it would be more helpful to just start off by just doing drawings or continue to digital paint but do simpler things? Because i do have a d'artiste book at the moment and i was considering following some of the tutorials to try and grasp some skills they use.

Old 09 September 2011   #4
Originally Posted by Nightshayde: Okay I'll take a look, thanks for letting me know. Do you think it would be more helpful to just start off by just doing drawings or continue to digital paint but do simpler things? Because i do have a d'artiste book at the moment and i was considering following some of the tutorials to try and grasp some skills they use.

Do both, develop drawing skills along with your digital skills - sometimes a quick sketch is easier with pencil and paper.

I don't thing critique at that stage is entirely useless, I would mostly direct you to study the human body, and poses more, as it's the one thing you need help with on this piece. The character's right arm is off, and the pose is unconvincing - look at the placement of his feet, you need to either commit to being in the air, or grounded, with the body being balanced.

I understand you want to design video game characters, it's a very popular thing right now, but as an artist, you need to learn to draw everything, starting with what you see around you, working from reference, working from models, and training and studying so you can make things up from your head. Right now, as a beginner, there is nothing wrong with using a reference picture, like maybe an MMA figure, to get the pose, then build up the other elements onto it.

Also, study hands. They're not easy, but they're crucial.

Welcome to the world of art, too. Just keep going, it's a long road you've chosen, but it's worth every step!

Old 09 September 2011   #5
Originally Posted by BillyWJ: Do both, develop drawing skills along with your digital skills - sometimes a quick sketch is easier with pencil and paper.

I don't thing critique at that stage is entirely useless, I would mostly direct you to study the human body, and poses more, as it's the one thing you need help with on this piece. The character's right arm is off, and the pose is unconvincing - look at the placement of his feet, you need to either commit to being in the air, or grounded, with the body being balanced.

I understand you want to design video game characters, it's a very popular thing right now, but as an artist, you need to learn to draw everything, starting with what you see around you, working from reference, working from models, and training and studying so you can make things up from your head. Right now, as a beginner, there is nothing wrong with using a reference picture, like maybe an MMA figure, to get the pose, then build up the other elements onto it.

Also, study hands. They're not easy, but they're crucial.

Welcome to the world of art, too. Just keep going, it's a long road you've chosen, but it's worth every step!

Thanks very much for the critiques! As far as this piece goes I think I might just move on and do simpler things in both digital and traditional like you said and work my way up. I just downloaded all of Andrew Loomis' books so I think I'll go through all of them and hopefully by then I'll understand posing and basic shading better.

Old 09 September 2011   #6
Originally Posted by Nightshayde: Thanks very much for the critiques! As far as this piece goes I think I might just move on and do simpler things in both digital and traditional like you said and work my way up. I just downloaded all of Andrew Loomis' books so I think I'll go through all of them and hopefully by then I'll understand posing and basic shading better.

Excellent. My biggest piece of advice is to be patient with yourself - not every drawing will be successful, but hopefully you learn from each one. That, and draw, draw more, and draw even more.

Keeping it simple is a great idea, too, often beginners get swamped with things that are too ambitious. Start with drawing simple objects, like whatever is on your desk.

Old 09 September 2011   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread