Critique - woman with armour

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2011   #1
Critique - woman with armour

Hello!
I would really appreciate any help I can get on this piece. I wasn't interested in any concept but rather on getting the anatomy, the colour and light right. I'm trying to learn the skills of creating believable people (like Melanie Delon), so I'm mainly interested in any critique I could get on the execution.

Thank you!

EDIT
I've played around with the adjustments in Ps and thought I'd post the result. I'm not saying it makes it look a lot better but maybe a bit (colour-wise), as it toned down the reds in the image and it has an old-painting feel to it ... or at least that's my humble opinion.

Last edited by elenaciolacu : 09 September 2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09 September 2011   #2
The eyes look a bit flat to me, as if they are lined up on a flat strip, instead of wrapping around the curvature of the skull with eye sockets, and the eyeballs are round spheres. It has to do with the way you are modeling the forms and how you are portraying the form shadows and highlights.

Also, the way you are portraying the irises, they almost look opaque instead of translucent. Try studying a lot of portrait photography and how they eyes reflect light as well as allow light to pass through. Don't just look at studio photography where tends to be really artificial lighting with giant softboxes or ring lights or reflectors. Look for candid portraits shot in a variety of settings without flash.

Old 09 September 2011   #3
Thank you Lunatique!
Your advice is very helpful as I found the eyes to be a bit weird as well.

Old 09 September 2011   #4
Update

I've worked some more on the eyes like Lunatique suggested and also on the shape of the face and lips...

Old 09 September 2011   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread