The Sunken Valley of Arterolios

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2011   #1
The Sunken Valley of Arterolios

Hey guys,

Check out my latest mattepainting started a few days ago. I'm in search of new techniques and tricks to adopt to better my craft, here is where I've started.

Update-001

Last edited by darvinkmanwah : 10 October 2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Picture wasn't working

Old 09 September 2011   #2
it's looking promising ! any concept yet? or are you straight to the final image?

Old 09 September 2011   #3
This looks great so far! Matte painting is something I've always wanted to learn (and plan on learning once I graduate college ).

Old 09 September 2011   #4
Hey guys, this piece was more for me to actually start and not just 'want to start' so there really wasn't much of a plan. I've been super busy working that I haven't done a whole lot of mattepainting lately so I simply 'started' something and see where it goes.

In addition I'm purchasing one of these bad boys over the weekend http://wacom.com/en/Products/Intuos/Intuos4Large.aspx so I'm pretty stoked about it. There will be more updates soon, as long as I get the Wacom and get going.

I haven't purchased it as yet but are there any recommendations of a tablet that I should keep in mind before spending the money ... thanks ...

Old 09 September 2011   #5
Originally Posted by darvinkmanwah: I haven't purchased it as yet but are there any recommendations of a tablet that I should keep in mind before spending the money ... thanks ...

Honestly I find the larger tablets too large (I have dual 27 inch monitors). I've used a lot of wacoms and honestly if you aren't going with a Cintq I'd suggest giving the Intuos 4 Wireless a try. Its the perfect size in my opinion and you will have much less arm fatigue than with a larger tablet.

They are highly customizable too. I suggest if working with multiple screens to have it map to one screen and use the toggle to flip between screens. (You'll see what I mean if you get one).

The 6D art pen is awesome too if you do any work in Corel Painter.

Old 09 September 2011   #6
O great, thanks. So you're thinking that an Intuos 4 Medium might be the better purchase, cause of size?

Old 09 September 2011   #7
Originally Posted by darvinkmanwah: O great, thanks. So you're thinking that an Intuos 4 Medium might be the better purchase, cause of size?

Yes, with the larger tablets arm fatigue begins to be a problem because you need much longer strokes to get the desired result. I've had a few friends who after using my medium sized tablets, downsized to medium and have liked it much better.

Wherever you get it though make sure its returnable just incase the size is not for you. I've used Wacoms for about 10 years and found that the medium size tends to work the best.

Old 09 September 2011   #8
Hey,

Thanks so much for the feedback .. medium Intuos 4 on its WAY ... I'll be rocking another preview hopefully by Sunday with you guys ...

Old 09 September 2011   #9
Hey guys,

so I purchased my new Wacom tablet wireless one as well ... It should be here in about 4-5 business days .. woot woot ... Regarding the wireless, did you have any problems with it regards to connectivity? Just wondering ....

Thanks guys ...

Old 10 October 2011   #10
Hey guys,

So I finally got my Wacom tablet and it ROCKS ... Medium wireless is definitely the tablet for me. So with that said, here`s an update of the mattepainting. I`m starting to dislike the piece a bit cause I`m not seeing alot of development with it. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks ...

Update-002

Last edited by darvinkmanwah : 10 October 2011 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10 October 2011   #11
your mountains in the distance are rubbish !!

look at the devils tower in wyoming (close encounters of the third kind) put several of these in the painting, in background, foreground dig out the ground and have that as a physical contrast with it.

This is where I would go, think about aerial perspective! this could be awesome,

Rich

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2011   #12
Hi Darvin,

Interesting base. Maybe consider adding an industrial structure spreading across the panorama. Ie; a military airbase, maybe with a experimental vehicle on a landing strip. Perhaps an alien city? Maybe go all out John Carter

Dave.

Old 10 October 2011   #13
Hey David,

Thanks for the ideas ... I've cleaned up what I have so far to work with what I like in the shot. I'll continue to concept the piece until I find something interesting to make progress on. Here's a look at what I've got so far. I worked a bit on the clouds for now ....

@Rockhoppermedia: I took your advise and tossed out the mountains ... Here's to a better start ....

Update-003

Last edited by darvinkmanwah : 10 October 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Old 10 October 2011   #14
Here's a quick update to the mattepainting ... starting to see where I might want to take this piece ...

Update-004

Update-005

Old 10 October 2011   #15
Hey guys, so here's another look at the progress ... There are many issues to address as you can see but seeing that I don't get alot of time to work on it at night, I'm spending the little time I do have on the over all look as compared to being extremely pic ... eventually when the major wrinkles are ironed out, I'll fine tune this piece as much as I can but for now, I'm working towards developing the concept.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on the progress ... Thanks a bunch ...

Update-006

Update-007

Thread Closed share thread